[SOLVED] Linux 3.8 incompatibility
I also usually run self-built kernels, but currently I was quite happy having Fedora 18 default builds, still... Fedora's updates from today bump the kernel to use 3.8.1, so as of now all Fedora users are without a driver.
I also usually run self-built kernels, but currently I was quite happy having Fedora 18 default builds, still...

Fedora's updates from today bump the kernel to use 3.8.1, so as of now all Fedora users are without a driver.

Posted 03/03/2013 06:45 PM   
While I fully agree it's far from ideal that community patches are required, this talk of distros "suffering" or "being without a driver" is quite silly. Arch provides working nvidia packages for the latest kernels. And if Arch, a niche distro made by volunteers can do it, then the bigger distros like OpenSuse and Fedora should be able to as well.
While I fully agree it's far from ideal that community patches are required, this talk of distros "suffering" or "being without a driver" is quite silly. Arch provides working nvidia packages for the latest kernels. And if Arch, a niche distro made by volunteers can do it, then the bigger distros like OpenSuse and Fedora should be able to as well.

Posted 03/03/2013 07:30 PM   
Gentoo is having problems as well, with ALL their kernels. They have decided to allow users to throw in patches via their portage scheme but not to do any more without nVidia getting a fixed driver set out. https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=447566
Gentoo is having problems as well, with ALL their kernels. They have decided to allow users to throw in patches via their portage scheme but not to do any more without nVidia getting a fixed driver set out.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=447566

Posted 03/03/2013 09:33 PM   
Receiving word that 313.26 fixes the incompatiblity issues and compiles on 3.7 and above. I'm checking that now.
Receiving word that 313.26 fixes the incompatiblity issues and compiles on 3.7 and above. I'm checking that now.

Posted 03/07/2013 01:56 AM   
Gotta chime in as a Lubuntu 12.10 user and Linux 3d game developer with a 3.5.0-26 generic kernel. [quote="1a5ca3e1"] If this wasn't a problem, posts about it wouldn't be so readily available upon searching.[/quote] That's selective observation. Just because a minority of loud people make a lot of noise in some forums, and those forums are picked up by search engines, doesn't mean they represent a huge customer base of people with problems in the real world. To some extent kernel compilers and tweakers create their own misery, and they are not necessarily to be pitied. What I'd like to see from NVIDIA, selfishly enough, is a good ecology of driver support for 3d game customers on common Linux systems. I'm chasing some 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz frontend vs. backend issue and going up a learning curve about it.
Gotta chime in as a Lubuntu 12.10 user and Linux 3d game developer with a 3.5.0-26 generic kernel.
1a5ca3e1 said:
If this wasn't a problem, posts about it wouldn't be so readily available upon searching.

That's selective observation. Just because a minority of loud people make a lot of noise in some forums, and those forums are picked up by search engines, doesn't mean they represent a huge customer base of people with problems in the real world. To some extent kernel compilers and tweakers create their own misery, and they are not necessarily to be pitied.

What I'd like to see from NVIDIA, selfishly enough, is a good ecology of driver support for 3d game customers on common Linux systems. I'm chasing some 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz frontend vs. backend issue and going up a learning curve about it.

Posted 03/28/2013 02:57 PM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply