Overhead for Degenerate Triangles
Hi everyone, I'm wondering how much overhead is created during rendering by using degenerate triangles. I'm thinking about a case where you have e.g. 10,000 triangles, with 5,000 of them being degenerate after the vertex processing stage (after the vertex shader has been applied). I assume it would be more efficient to render only the 5,000 non-degenerate triangles then, as we will save the vertex processing overhead for the degenerate triangles. The question is how strong this effect will usually be - are there any whitepapers or so that mention some numbers about that issue? Thanks a lot in advance! Best, Volzotan
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering how much overhead is created during rendering by using degenerate triangles.
I'm thinking about a case where you have e.g. 10,000 triangles, with 5,000 of them being degenerate after the vertex processing stage (after the vertex shader has been applied).

I assume it would be more efficient to render only the 5,000 non-degenerate triangles then, as we will save the vertex processing overhead for the degenerate triangles. The question is how strong this effect will usually be - are there any whitepapers or so that mention some numbers about that issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best,
Volzotan

Posted 03/12/2013 12:21 PM   
... no ideas anyone? I'd also be happy to receive some reference to further help sources, any comments are appreciated! Thanks in advance.
... no ideas anyone?

I'd also be happy to receive some reference to further help sources, any comments are appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Posted 03/18/2013 04:13 PM   
Scroll To Top