Can't make shaders get focus when debugging

I am using Nsight 3.0 (build 3.0.0.13027) with Visual Studio 2010. I am using the release candidate version because it allows shader debugging locally with a single GPU.

According to the documentation, all I have to do to be able to debug my shaders is to compile them "using D3DXCompileShader, D3DX10CompileFromFile, etc. " with the flags D3DXSHADER_PREFER_FLOW_CONTROL | D3DXSHADER_DEBUG | D3DXSHADER_SKIPOPTIMIZATION. Since I am using DirectX 11, I am compiling my shaders with D3DX11CompileFromFileA as follows:

DWORD dwShaderFlags = D3DCOMPILE_ENABLE_STRICTNESS;
dwShaderFlags |= D3DCOMPILE_DEBUG | D3DCOMPILE_SKIP_OPTIMIZATION | D3DCOMPILE_WARNINGS_ARE_ERRORS |
	     D3DXSHADER_DEBUG | D3DXSHADER_SKIPOPTIMIZATION  | D3DXSHADER_PREFER_FLOW_CONTROL;

D3DX11CompileFromFileA( 
		fileName, 
		defines, 
		nullptr, 
		entryPoint, 
		shaderModel, 
		              dwShaderFlags, 
		nullptr, 
		ppBlobOut, 
		&pErrorBlob, 
		nullptr 
	);

Everything compiles and runs, but, when in Graphics Debugging mode, I cannot make my shaders appear in the Graphics Focus Picker after selecting them from the Shaders window.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx in advance.

I am using a GeForce GTX 680 (driver version 310.90), Windows 7 64 bits.

I just found out that all shader file names MUST have the extension “.hlsl” for Nsight to work properly :)

The problem I am having now is that, for some shaders, Nsight / the application / the driver crashes when a breakpoint is hit. Ironically enough, this does not happen with all shaders – just with the ones I want to debug the most…

Opening a new thread for the problem above

Replied you in the other thread. Highly recommend to try the new Nsight version and driver.

By the way, for “I just found out that all shader file names MUST have the extension “.hlsl” for Nsight to work properly :)”, please find #8 known issue in Nsight 3.0 release nots.
You can add your extension in Tools\Options\Text Editor\File Extension as C++ file type, that solves issue in auto window and hover tooltip.

Thx a lot