nsight immidtaley crashes upon startup, not sure how to troubleshoot further.

Hello,
Nsight immediately crashes when running it on my machine and I cannot figure out why. I’m not sure how to troubleshoot the issue further and was hoping someone could assist me to get it working.

Here are my steps to replicate:

1. Install (which forces removal of previous installs): NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_No_CUDA_TK_Win64_3.0.0.13079 using fresh driver install of: 314.07-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql. There are no errors during the install process and I reboot afterwards.

2. Run (as administrator) Nsight monitor from the default install directory: “C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0\Monitor\Common\Nsight.Monitor.exe”

3. Win7 UAC popup comes up to let me know it will run, I click “Yes” to run it

ERROR) application immediately crashes with “Nsight.Monitor has stopped working” the view details are as follows:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: nsight.monitor.exe
Problem Signature 02: 3.0.0.13079
Problem Signature 03: 514a10bb
Problem Signature 04: mscorlib
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ca2b889
Problem Signature 07: 1b2b
Problem Signature 08: c
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional Specs:
I am using a GeForce GTS 250, visual studio 2010 ultimate, on a 64 bit machine, running windows 7 ultimate.

Additional Details:
The same nsight application crash happens when running through the visual studio IDE in a performance analysis as well. Worth mentioning is nsight has successfully ran on my machine in the past. I came back to an old project and noticed nsight wasn’t working anymore (same crash as described above), at which time I reinstalled and has sadly not fixed the issue for me. The only other options I can think of are to reinstall visual studio (however I assume running the monitor standalone shouldn’t be impacted by that) and then worst case, a full OS reinstall, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Any help is appreciated, thanks for your time.

Installer.log (4.85 MB)

Thanks for the log file. I’ll ask an engineer to take a look at your install log to see if a file was not installed correctly.

-Jeff

Would you mind uninstalling Nsight, deleting the entire “C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0” folder, and then reinstalling Nsight?

If the issue persists, please open the command prompt and execute:

• CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0\Monitor"
  • TREE /F > monitordir.txt

And then attach the resulting text file.

Thanks,

-Jeff

1. Went to add/remove programs and uninstalled nsight
    NOTE) there was a single file left C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0\Monitor\Common\Injection64\gpu.txt

2)Deleted C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0
NOTE) Folder Access Denied, says I need admin permission, selected “continue”

1. installed NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_No_CUDA_TK_Win64_3.0.0.13079.msi
    NOTE) UAC popup came up to ask if I would like to run, selected “Yes”

2. ran as administrator: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0\Monitor\Common\Nsight.Monitor.exe
    NOTE) UAC popped up to ask if I wanted to run, slected “yes”

ERROR) Same crash as before

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:

Ran the directory scan as requested, see attachment. Thanks for your time.
monitordir.txt (6.31 KB)

I also tried a few other things.

1. from command prompt (as admin) “sfc /scannow”
    NOTE) this does a system verification scan and resulted in “Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.”.

2. I used dependency walker x86 on nsight.monitor.exe to try to find what DLL(s) are not exactly loading and may be causing the System.IO.FileNotFoundException. The results were: “Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.”. As a side note, my understanding of “delay-load” means the DLL dependency will not be loaded unless the application explicitly uses a function from it. The two failed to load DLLs were:

A) GPSVC.DLL - used by Group Policy Client created by Microsoft Corporation. The file is located at: “\Windows\System32\GPSVC.DLL” on my system.

B) IEShims.dll - Is part of Internet Explorer and should be located at “Program Files\Internet Explorer\EShims.dll”, it’s part of the initial install. And that is exactly were it is on my system.

3. I tried putting the above listed DLL dependencies directly in the folder with the monitor app which resulted in the dependency walker utility complaining about failing to load “sysntfy.dll” (which resides in “\windows\system32”) and also now complained about a CPU type mis-match of the aforementioned DLLs (32bit app loading 64 bit dlls). Worth noting, all the aforementioned DLLs are 64bit versions on my system. From the research I have done, on win7 64, they should all be that way (64 bit-only versions on the system and no 32-bit versions). The application still crashed after putting all 3 of the DLLs into the local application directory and re-running.

4. I tried turning off UAC completely and rebooted to see if that made a difference. I un-installed, re-installed, and re-ran the monitor application, which resulted in the same crash sadly.

1. I also tried installing a different version of nsight: NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_No_CUDA_Toolkit_Win64_2.2.0.12313.msi
    and the 2.2 application also crashes with the same error.
  1. I’ve also tried running the Microsoft NetFxRepairTool.exe, uninstalling, reinstanlling, re-ran and it still crashes with the same error.
  1. I have also tried re-installing both “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)” and “Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)” and selected repair options. Re-ran and same crash.

Worth mentioning, is this and other nsight utilities (like perfhud) are the only applications I am having trouble running and I have yet to encounter any other crashes like this from other applications on my system.

Quick Update:
I have a functional version of nsight 2.2 on another machine (windows7 64 bit). I was able to run through the dependency walker today on the working machine and it complained about the same DLLs listed above: GPSVC.DLL + IEShims.dll, so I don’t think those specific DLLs are at the heart the underlying problem. So I am again in the dark at what file System.IO.FileNotFoundException is complaining about that causing nsight not to work.

If you are having issues with other NVIDIA developer tools, I would think this might have something to do with the driver. Would you mind installing the latest 320.00 beta driver, and electing to do a clean install when the option appears?

I will try this specific driver out tonight and see if it helps.

Clean Install Of:
320.00-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta.exe

Clean Install Of:
NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_No_CUDA_TK_Win64_3.0.0.13079.msi

Same crash sadly.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:

On the non-working machine the monitor crashes and returns: Exit Status: -532459699
NOTE) -532459699 = E0434F4D = “ECOM” = which apparently means “exception from COM”

On the working machine the monitor on exit returns (as expected): Exit Status: 0

I have ran the app through process monitor (Process Monitor - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs) and now have logs from both the working and non-working versions of the monitor app if that is helpful. I didn’t see anything that stood out as having an access problems between the two versions, however the logs are quite verbose so I may have missed something so I’m going to review them in extreme detail and see if I can locate any problems.

I would really like to get these tools fixed if possible. Any advice or tips on how to troubleshoot further is appreciated.

My best guess is that possibly something has damaged your .NET installation. The log file and directory listing you have posted check out fine. If you can, try reinstalling the .NET 3.5 redist.

We have a logging mechanism, but the crash may be happening a little too early to have the log tells us what’s going on.
One issue could be that the Nsight installer thinks you have the VC 2008 redistributable already installed, but it is missing it? if you have VS 2008 SP1 on that machine, and is working, then you may not need to do this, otherwise, could you try installing the visual c++ 2008 sp1 redistributable - should be downloadable from the Microsoft site.
Thanks

I will try 1) installing the visual c++ 2008 sp1 and 2) reinstalling the .NET 3.5 redist redistributable tonight.

Hi blg, are you still having issues?

I am still having issues running Nsight Monitor.exe on my machine. Everything else appears to load fine including the performance profiler itself within visual studio. I have tried the following additional steps to no avail to get the nvidia monitor to function properly:

REPAIRED:

1. used .NET Fix tool: NetFxRepairTool.exe (ran trhough all available next steps)
  2. Uninstalled and Reinstalled .NET 3.5 via:
    DISM /online /disable-feature /FeatureName:NetFx3
    DISM /online /enable-feature /FeatureName:NetFx3
  3. Uninstalled and reinstalled VC2008 Redist: vcredist_x86.exe

REINSTALLED:

1. Installed Beta graphics driver: 326.41-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-beta.exe
  2. Installed the newest version of NSight: NVIDIA_Nsight_Visual_Studio_Edition_Win64_3.1.0.13233.msi

NOTE:
All installations reported as successful with no errors while uninstalling/installing.

ISSUE:
NSight Monitor.exe Crashes with below message.

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Signature 02: 3.1.0.13233
Problem Signature 03: 521566f6