Fan Speed Locked at 100%

I’ve just upgraded from the on-board Intel HD4000 to an MSI nVidia GTX 650 in a new build of mine and everything went fine apart from the fact the fan, once the nVidia driver loads, appears to stick at 100% and as you can imagine that’s very loud (it’s purely wind noise, it’s not physically hitting anything).

Has anyone encountered this before? The graphics card in nVidia Tools states the core is around 19’c so it’s clearly not hot. It’s like the moment the nVidia driver is loaded, it just maxes the fan and stays there for no reason.

I do not get this issue with the Nouveau driver so it is specific to the nVidia official driver blob.

Driver is the latest, 313.30-5. I’ve also tried the 319 beta.

Enabling coolbits gives me fan control in the nVidia settings program, but I can’t change it - if I try then as soon as I hit Apply, the slider jumps back to 40% and nothing happens.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (66.5 KB)

Bump. This is a major issue for me.

I can approve it & this bug is very annoying.
My system is Ubuntu 13.10 with the .319 driver and GTX 660.

Please fix it.

Does the issue still exist in the 331.20 drivers? Try them out and see if it’s fixed.

Same issue with a GTX 750 Ti, driver version 364.15, Ubuntu 14.04, kernel 3.19.0-58-generic. First, I installed the driver using the .run file, then from the ppa repository (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa). The nouveau driver does not have any problem to dynamically control the speed of the fan but of course the performance are not equivalent.

The two fans of the card are always running at full speed (or what I strongly believe is full speed)
The nvidia-settings GUI doesn’t show any value for the “fan speed”. The temperature value is displayed correctly
In the nvidia-settings GUI and the CoolBits 4 option, the slider to control manually the speed of the fans do not work
Unlike nvidia-settings GUI, the command nvidia-smi report a fan speed (in %). The value is set to 29% when I’m simply on the Desktop without running other graphics processes AND the fans spin at full speed; the value drops to 0% when X (lightdm) is killed BUT the fans continue to turn at full speed; when running the Unigine benchmark, the temperature and fan speed reported by nvidia-smi increase BUT the fans continue to spin at full speed (always!).

This thread was not answered 3 years ago. Hope that I’ll have more chance than the OP. :)

Thomas

The NVIDIA GTX750 Ti with the driver from the ppa repository (sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa) works now after moving from Ubuntu 14.04 to 16.04. Coolbits can be used to control the speed of the fans, however the fans of the cards don’t make any noise unless the computer is under an intensive load!