[SOLVED] When will NVIDIA fix `nvidia-smi -a` ?
You can surely export these things to regular (non Tesla) users, 'cause there are no trade secrets to be exposed by showing this information. [code] GPU Link Info PCIe Generation Max : N/A Current : N/A Link Width Max : N/A Current : N/A Performance State : N/A Clocks Throttle Reasons : N/A Utilization Gpu : N/A Memory : N/A Power Readings Power Management : N/A Power Draw : N/A Power Limit : N/A Default Power Limit : N/A Min Power Limit : N/A Max Power Limit : N/A Clocks Graphics : N/A SM : N/A Memory : N/A Applications Clocks Graphics : N/A Memory : N/A Default Applications Clocks Graphics : N/A Memory : N/A Max Clocks Graphics : N/A SM : N/A Memory : N/A Compute Processes : N/A [/code]
You can surely export these things to regular (non Tesla) users, 'cause there are no trade secrets to be exposed by showing this information.

GPU Link Info
PCIe Generation
Max : N/A
Current : N/A
Link Width
Max : N/A
Current : N/A

Performance State : N/A

Clocks Throttle Reasons : N/A

Utilization
Gpu : N/A
Memory : N/A

Power Readings
Power Management : N/A
Power Draw : N/A
Power Limit : N/A
Default Power Limit : N/A
Min Power Limit : N/A
Max Power Limit : N/A
Clocks
Graphics : N/A
SM : N/A
Applications Clocks
Default Applications Clocks
Max Clocks
SM : N/A
Compute Processes : N/A

Artem S. Tashkinov
Linux and Open Source advocate

Posted 05/09/2013 07:52 PM   
They deliberately removed support for non quadro gpus, older drivers (can't remember the version) worked. Probably for marketing reason, that's the drawback of non FOSS drivers, we've to deal with it.
They deliberately removed support for non quadro gpus, older drivers (can't remember the version) worked.

Probably for marketing reason, that's the drawback of non FOSS drivers, we've to deal with it.

Posted 05/13/2013 12:05 PM   
Half of this information can be seen using [code]nvidia-settings -q all[/code] so I guess it's a case of negligence rather than a deliberate attempt not to expose it.
Half of this information can be seen using
nvidia-settings -q all
so I guess it's a case of negligence rather than a deliberate attempt not to expose it.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 05/14/2013 08:07 AM   
As i wrote, that info used to work till a specific driver release. Many users wrote about it, and never nvidia fixed it, nor gave us an internal bug id. Feel free to wait for an answer :D
As i wrote, that info used to work till a specific driver release.
Many users wrote about it, and never nvidia fixed it, nor gave us an internal bug id.

Feel free to wait for an answer :D

Posted 05/14/2013 11:26 AM   
I will :-)
I will :-)

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 05/14/2013 02:25 PM   
Wait until the heat death of the sun... Like so many other bugs.
Wait until the heat death of the sun... Like so many other bugs.

Posted 05/15/2013 08:58 PM   
I'm gonna be nasty.
I'm gonna be nasty.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 05/26/2013 07:27 AM   
Bumpy.
Bumpy.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 06/17/2013 09:59 PM   
Long time, another bump.
Long time, another bump.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 07/05/2013 01:41 PM   
Bump.
Bump.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 07/08/2013 12:38 PM   
Bump.
Bump.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 07/14/2013 06:15 AM   
Bump.
Bump.

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 07/18/2013 10:06 AM   
A bit impatient there, birdie? I found the bug - it's actually inside NVML. I have a bug report and workaround [url=https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/560248/system-management-and-monitoring-nvml-/bug-nvml-incorrectly-detects-certain-gpus-as-unsupported-/]here[/url] but as nvidia-smi is closed-source, I can't apply the bugfix to nvidia-smi without some GDB trickery. :( If all you want to see is GPU utilization and power usage, well, the code I have there will do just that, provided you have recent drivers. :)
A bit impatient there, birdie?

I found the bug - it's actually inside NVML. I have a bug report and workaround here but as nvidia-smi is closed-source, I can't apply the bugfix to nvidia-smi without some GDB trickery. :(

If all you want to see is GPU utilization and power usage, well, the code I have there will do just that, provided you have recent drivers. :)

Posted 07/20/2013 01:18 AM   
Thank you, sir!
Thank you, sir!

Artem S. Tashkinov

Posted 07/20/2013 08:23 AM   
Just improved my bugfix - newer version [url=https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/563056/linux/how-to-get-nvidia-smi-working-/]here[/url] gets the mainline nvidia-smi working again.
Just improved my bugfix - newer version here gets the mainline nvidia-smi working again.

Posted 07/21/2013 08:40 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply