Nsight OpenCL tracing

Hi there,

I am trying to trace my OpenCL application using Nsight. It used to work fine for a long time but suddenly all I get is this error:
Error : No events written to file.
I’m not sure what broke it (latest Windows update, driver update, Nsight itself…).
It still works if I trace for example Nvidia’s OpenCL scan example. The project explorer shows that these dlls are loaded while running the scan example:
detoured.dll
Nvda.Events.Native.100.dll
Nvda.Events.Rdtsc.Native.100.dll
Nvda.Nexus.Injection.100.dll
Nvda.OpenCl.Injection.100.dll

When I run my application both Nvda.Events.*.dlls are missing (I guess that explains why there are no events written to the file).

All these things do not work:
reverting to an older driver
use an older Nsight version
Restore Windows to an older System restore point

Could this maybe happen because I load OpenCL.dll with LoadLibrary and get the function pointers with GetProcAddress instead of linking to some OpenCL.lib? If that’s the case why did it work before?

Driver version: 320.00
Nsight: 3.0.0.13123
Graphics cards: Quadro 6000, K5000, FX 1800M (doesn’t work on any of them)
Visual Studio 2010 with SP1
Win7, 64 bit

I’m a bit lost here. Does anybody have any suggestions?

cheers
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Is it possible to send the sample to us ? We can try here and find if there has Nsight issue or not, Thanks.

Hi Colin,

I can now also reproduce it with Nvidia’s OpenCL scan example. It works in 32 bit but when I compile it as 64 bit I get the same errors like in my application. The application itself works correctly.
I have attached the project to this post.

cheers
Thomas

NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK.zip (2.06 MB)

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately we can’t repro any errors with 64bit scan sample. That’ll be helpful to our engineer to diagnose the problem if you can send Nsight log to us.

To get the log file, please search “Troubleshooting” in our local help file or do as follows:

1. Close both Visual Studio and the Nsight Monitor.

2. On both the host and target machines, go to %AppData%\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight\Vsip\1.0\Logs and %AppData%\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight\Monitor\1.0\Logs and delete any existing files.

3. Edit Nvda.Diagnostics.nlogas follows.
    On the host machine:
    For 32-bit OS: Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0\Common\Configurations
    For 64-bit OS: Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition 3.0\Common\Configurations
    On the target machine:
    For 32-bit OS: Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition Monitor 3.0\Common\Configurations
    For 64-bit OS: Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight Visual Studio Edition Monitor 3.0\Common\Configurations

4. Go to the last logger at the bottom of the file: .

5. Change the minlevel attribute value from “Error” to “Trace”.

6. Save the file.

7. Reproduce the problem, and send the following generated logs:
    %AppData%\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight\Vsip\1.0\Logs
    %AppData%\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight\Monitor\1.0\Logs

Hi Colin,

here are the log files from the 64-bit application. There are till no problems with 32 bit.

cheers
Thomas

Monitor Nsight.zip (2.85 KB)

Vsip Nsight.zip (6.49 KB)

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for you sending the logs to us. Engineer will check your log files.

Hi Thomas,

I’ve received your message about this issue is not reporduced after updating a later driver, hope that works fine on your side now. Feel free to post a new topic or reply in this topic if any similiar issues were found.