Ubuntu 12.04 and GT 610

Dear developers,
it’s few days i have bought a GeForce GT 610, to give CUDA capability to my desktop. I have downloaded and installed from the NVidia drivers the following: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.17.run. After installation i was able to compile and run in Nsight Eclipse Edition, the example called deviceQuery. After i tried the same with an other sample: nBody. I was receiving the compile error: compute_21 architecture not found, or something similar. So i have installe trough synaptic all the packages regarding cuda; cublas and others… but didn’t resolve the problem.
But at this point i was having two version of the drivers: 304 and 319 (with the latter one active). By looking at the web i have seen that there can be compiling problems if the cuda-toolkit is not up to date with the drivers. So i tried to activate the 304 version, but my graphic server got stucked.

Now i have reinstalled ubuntu form scratch, without the graphic card. After i have installed the graphic card again in the PCI express, so now i want to follow the exact steps to use CUDA in a proper way.

First question is: should i reinstall NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.17.run, or is better cuda_5.5.22_linux_64.run, that is the package containing all the required software for programming in CUDA???

I’m sorry if i was too much confused, an i hope someone can help me.

Regards

Bruno

bump

There are various tutorials on how to install NVIDIA drivers available online. The easiest way to install the latest drivers is to add the xorg-edgers repository to your sources and install nvidia-319 drivers, and then install the CUDA SDK and skip the driver installation included in the package.

As for the particular error, of compute_21 architecture not found, it seems you just have to add the flag to nvcc to compile for that architecture.