Fullscreen Direct3D 11 multi device (gpu), multi swap chain per device rendering

In my application I seem unable to achieve more than one device (GPU) in fullscreen at the same time. After much testing and googling I still remain puzzled. Windowed mode is not an option for me, and multi device is essential.

I can get multiple swap chains on a single device to go fullscreen at the same time, but as soon as more than one device is going fullscreen, a maximum of one device remains in fullscreen mode.

I also found this blog stating the problem:

Is it possible to achieve fullscreen rendering on multiple devices using DirectX 11 on Windows 8/7? If yes, how would that be achieved? If not, what’s the rationale behind it?

Looking for solutions for DirectX 11, I found a webpage stating that DirectX 9 could be used in fullscreen mode on multiple devices if some restrictions are met:

“… The practical implication is that a multiple monitor application can place several devices in full-screen mode, but only if all these devices are for different adapters, were created by the same Direct3D9 object, and all share the same focus window…”

Source: Working with Multiple Monitor Systems (Direct3D 9) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

Are there similar restrictions as with DX9 for DX11 on Windows 8 and how could they be met?

If fullscreen rendering on multiple devices is not possible using DirectX 11 (for some reason I would like to know), could it be possible to interop between DX9 and DX11 to get it working?

I also read in a blog that Windows Vista might work with multiple fullscreen devices since it uses DXGI 1.0.

Source: Working with Multiple Monitor Systems (Direct3D 9) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

I would really appreciate some comments on this issue.

Best regards,
Jørn Skaarud Karlsen