DisplayPort Monitor not sleeping correctly

I upgraded from a radeon card to an EVGA GTX 770 Classified. The linux driver works great except for one problem. I have a monitor connected to the DisplayPort via a DVI converter. I have two other monitors connected via the DVI ports.

When I try to make my monitors stand by, the DVI-connected ones sleep as expected. The DisplayPort-connected one turns off for a few seconds and then flickers back to life, displaying a static image of whatever it was displaying at the time of sleep. I have tried the distribution (gentoo) provided driver package as well as the package downloaded directly from nvidia. The monitors all sleep correctly under Windows (7 or 8)

I have tried kernel 3.11.4 as well as 3.12.0. The nvidia driver versions I have tried are 325.15 and 331.20. I have also checked in nvidia-settings to see if any power setting changed anything.

I have attached the file generated from the nvidia-bug-report script, run over ssh while the other monitors were sleeping properly.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (214 KB)

The only solution I can think of is use an active DVI to DP converter. Or for that matter if you’re using an active one, try it with a passive one.

I recently was testing an active HDMI->DP adapter with the output of an HDMI KVM and sometimes the screen would lose sync and come back, whereas with a passive HDMI->DVI it didn’t have that issue. I realize it’s not a perfect solution to try a different type of adapter, but figured I’d suggest it.

I am using an active adapter because my old card wouldn’t work with a passive one. At this point I forgot there even were passive adapters :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I will see if I can find a passive adapter and try it out.

I tried a passive adapter. The same behavior persists.

EDIT: Tried HDMI. with 2 DVI monitors and one HDMI monitor, they all sleep properly. This is not a solution, just more information.

I have a workaround until the driver is fixed. Since HDMI works fine in linux, I plugged in the problematic monitor via displayport and hdmi. In linux, I will use the hdmi monitor and disabled the displayport one in nvidia-settings. For windows, I will keep using the displayport. So I just have to switch inputs on the monitor when switching between OS’s. Not a big deal and at least I don’t have to manually shut off the monitors when I walk away in linux.

I only use windows for games so this arrangement works well as a temporary workaround.

raidzero, What is make and model of your monitor and dongle? Also Please provide reproduction steps step-by-step. Any earlier driver worked for you? What desktop env and display manager your are using?

Monitors: ASUS VH242H
Passive DP adapter: Cirago DPA1021
Active DP Adapter: Accell B087B-005B

I chose this active adapter because I bought it when I had my old GPU it was on AMD’s approved adapter list.

I am running openbox as my window manager & lxdm as display manager, but it happens in TWM or GNOME as well. I have only tried driver version 325.15 and 331.20.

To reproduce I can either wait for the monitors to sleep or force with

xset dpms force standby

By the way, I did go ahead and do a GPU BIOS update, no change.

I just tried driver version 331.38 and the problem persists.

Sorry to necro-post, but I wanted to ask for an update. It’s been a while and even with the latest Xorg (1.17.1), linux kernel (4.0.4) and nvidia drivers (352.09) the problem persists

Just to add my two cents, I have this same problem with an LG 34UM95-P monitor. Standby mode fails when connected to the display port and works fine connected to HDMI. For now I’m running off of HDMI but it only runs at 50Hz. It would be nice if I could get the display port to work correctly. It’s not really clear to me if this is a problem with X, the nvidia drivers or my monitor.

Same issue with the same monitor and driver version 352.21. The card is a GTX 960 connected to the monitor via displayport. I’m thinking this is an NVIDIA problem, as the same machine/os with a radeon r7 would sleep the monitor over DP without issue.

Hate to say, but the same problem:

I have a Quadro K2000 GPU on Opensuse 13.2. I connected 3 monitors, one on DVI, one on Displayport and one through a DVI2Displayport converter was connected to the Displayport. Every thing was fine when I had the 341 version driver (I can’t remember the exact version). In order to have CUDA 7.5, as a step of installation procedure, I updated the GPU driver to 352.39. Since the driver update, the Monitor which is directly connected to the Displayport does not go to the standby mode, instead remains on either with a black screen (visible mouse pointer on it) or with the lock page background. All the monitors are the same, Eizo EV2216W. If I swap the monitors between different ports, the one which is directly connected to the Displayport always has this problem. It’s a surprise for me that if the problem is with the Displayport, why the one which is connected to the converter does not have the same problem?
I really appreciate for a help or comment.

An update:
The two monitors which work fine has a slightly different info on Display Device Information on NVIDIA X Server Settings with that one on Displayport.

The fine ones:
Signal: TMDS
Connection linke: Single

The one on Displayport:
Signal: Displayport
Connection link: 4 lanes @ 1.62 Gbps

AliRD, Please attach nvidia bug report. What the is make/model of the monitors you are testing? Are you using different DP cables for both displays? What desktop env you are running KDE, GNOME or else?

Same problem here. I use only one monitor connected with DP. Instead of going to standby the monitor turns black with also a visible mouse pointer.

Standby works fine with the nouveau driver, but I prefer the Nvidia driver.

Linux: Leap 42.1
GTX660
Driver: 340.96

Same thing with my ASUS PB278Q monitors. DPMS non functional under Linux. works fine on windows though.

I have similar problem in Windows 10 environment
Asus GTX950-2G, Nvidia driver 376.33 (the same with 362.00)
I have 3 monitors:

1. the main one Iiyama x4071uhsu-b1 (3840*2160, 60 Hz) - use DisplayPort (it does not have DVI, only Displayport and hdmi)

2. Dexp g276 (2560*1440, 60 Hz) - use DVI

3. Sony TV, (1920*1080 6- Hz) - use HDMI

I don’t use any converter.

If I use Display sleep settings (not the system, display only - DPMS Sleep), the sleep works fine but after wakeup all windows
from main desktop gets moved to the othe displays in the end, all monitors have correct resolution,
but all the windows positioned on the wrong monitors and the main one is empty

It’s only happens when I have monitor connected throught Display port

Looks like that the main monitor Iiyama when turend on sends some PluAndPlay signal that couse windows to close it’s display and force
all windows to move to the other two displays.

Reading a lot of forums, I have found that the ATI card’s users stop getting such wiered behaviour after some driver update in the past.

I thint Nvidia should do the same thing - we need a way to disable feature such as DisplayPort auto disconnect
Now the only thing I can do - not to use DPMS sleep at all

Contextually related to this thread:

How to Choose a DisplayPort Cable, and Not Get a Bad One! - DisplayPort
[url]http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/[/url]

Of all the passive and active Display Port to DVI-D adapters listed in the above link, only one supports a DP to DVI-D DL connection. The link to it is broken. Here’s the unit in question:

HP DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter (NR078AA) | HP® United States
[url]http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/oas/product-detail.html%3Foid%3D3929969[/url]

A description of a proper Display Port to DVI-D DL adaptor which conforms to the design of the HP NR078AA:

[i]"…A notable limitation of dual-mode is that it can only transmit single-link DVI (and HDMI), as the number of pins in the DisplayPort connector is insufficient for dual-link connections. As a result, an active converter is needed for Dual-Link DVI and analog component video such as VGA. Some of these active adapters can rely on the +3.3 V wire in the DisplayPort connector for the conversion, but other types of active conversion, such as Dual-Link DVI, require external power that is often pulled from an available USB port.

VESA anticipates that HDMI and DVI conversion will eventually be handled by active adapters which act as DisplayPort Sink devices, in order to facilitate easier updates to latest HDMI and DisplayPort specs, and work with dual-link HDMI, DisplayPort connections with either fewer than 4 lanes or different data rates, and multiple DisplayPort streams. It should be noted that DVI 1.0 spec was finalized in 1999 and the DVI industry consortium has since disbanded, so future updates to DVI specification are unlikely; also, although dual-link HDMI Type B connector is defined in the HDMI specification, it has not seen any practical use as of 2012…"[/i]

DisplayPort - Wikipedia
[url]DisplayPort - Wikipedia