Application crashing when using Graphics Debugging

Hi,

Running my DirectX 11 application standalone or through NSight’s Performance Analysis with the NVIDIA card active works correctly. If I try Graphics Debugging with the NVIDIA card active the application will crash before it has a chance to open a window or render anything. The output just says the thread exited… If I use the integrated Intel card Graphics Debugging works, but with reduced functionality.

I’ve updated the drivers for both GPUs, with the clean install option for the NVIDIA drivers, and updated Visual Studio. Nothing has worked so far.

Anything else I could try to get NSight’s Graphics Debugging working with the NVIDIA card?

Thanks,
-K

Details:

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M (driver 332.21)
  • NSight 3.2.2
  • Visual Studio 2012 Update 4

Hi,

This sounds like an optimus setup. Most likely this is due to the fact that in order to debug on the NVIDIA card, the graphics debugger needs the NVIDIA card to be driving the display directly, the workaround is see if you can turn off optimus in the BIOS. Is this possible?

Thanks

Hi r a f i,

I have a Dell XPS 15 (L521x) and Optimus isn’t an option in the BIOS menu. I also updated my BIOS today, to A16, and still don’t see Optimus.

From what I’ve read the NVIDIA card can’t be used to drive the display directly, since the screen/front buffer is actually stored on the Intel integrated board and the NVIDIA card just does the computation. However, I could be mistaken about that.

Anything else I could try?

-K

Hi,

If you are unable to turn off optimus, unfortunately not (on that machine) at this moment.

Are there other NVIDIA profilers available that will work under Windows & DirectX 11 that I could try?

-K

Hi Kopke,

We had one of those laptops a while back and I think we were able to get around this by disabling the integrated GPU in the bios, and hook up an external monitor via display port. I know this is not great (as it takes away the ‘mobile’ part of the laptop), but maybe that’s something that may work for you.

Nsight is the graphics profiler to use from NVIDIA.

Thanks