[Solved] Nsight OpenGL Debugging

Hello,
I am having trouble to get the Nsight OpenGL debugger running.

I have installed Nsight and configuted a secure local connection with Nsight Monitor.
Wenn I start the debugging via NSIGHT->Start Graphics Debugging, my Application launches, but I can’t get the Nsight HUD (CTRL+Z isn’t working) and NSIGHT->Pause and Capture Frame is disabled(greyed out).

I am working on a Windows 8.1 Laptop with a Nvidia GeForce GT 750M/PCIe/SSE2.
I have Optimus disabled and GL_VENDOR and GL_RENDERER state that my Application is using the right card. I have tried both Nsight 3.2 and 4.0.

When I try it with a DirectX App, with that setup, it woks.

Next I configured a unsecure connection (couldn’t get a secure connection running) with a Windows 7 Desktop PC equipped with an GeForce GTX 560. I got the same result (Pause and Capture Frame is disabled and there is no HUD).

Best regards,
Bastian

How is your application presenting / swapping buffers? In particular, what calls are you using?

Nsight keys off of a series of present/swapbuffers commands and I would guess that there is something that is preventing Nsight from detecting these correctly.

I was using glFlush(). But i have tried glutSwapBuffers() as well.

glFlush does not present or swap buffers, it just flushes your command stream. Also note that glutSwapBuffers will do nothing if you haven’t configured double-buffering.

Does your application run when not running under Nsight?

Yes my application is running, even with Nsights Graphics Debugging. But the option Pause and Capture Frame is disabled.

When using glutSwapBuffers, I had double buffering enabled with: glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGBA);

Just to double check – is your application calling glutSwapBuffers for every frame?

Would you be willing to share your application so that we can take a look at it? If so, please send me a private message.

Hey that was it. As I have no animations, my application was only rendering when necessary.
I changed that and render always and now the debugger works as expected.

Thank you for your help.

Glad to hear that that was your problem! We actually have an option related to this: Nsight > Options > Graphics > “Force Present/Swapbuffers calls on the target to repaint the window”. You could consider using this so that you can keep the behavior of rendering only when necessary while still being able to use Nsight.

Happy to help,

Dan