Autodetect launched applications feature?

Hi,

I was using NSight for a while and was satisfied with it but I ran into some games that does not allow you to run them from their .exe file. They are mostly big titles on Steam and Origin that connect to the service before launching. In most cases I was unable to run them with NSight monitor and profile the frames.

I recently found that Intel GPA has a feature that allows it to run automatically whenever a visual application is launched. I downloaded it and successfully profiled the mentioned games.

I still prefer NSight over GPA, so I would really like to have such feature in NSight if it’s not there yet. So do you have such option or, if not, do you plan to add it in the future?

Thanks

Hi,

If you go to the “Nsight User Properties” settings for a specific project (right click on the project > Nsight User Properties) you will find the “Application is a launcher” checkbox. This will allow you to debug applications that are launched indirectly (through “launchers” like Steam or Origin). This is a new feature in 4.0.

Let me know if you have success,

Dan

Thanks Dan, this option indeed works very well. Unfortunately NSight is too buggy to run with the game I wanted to debug (Battlefield 3), or perhaps I have not enough hoursepower (core i7, nVidia 560ti, 8Gb RAM), in any case everything gets stuck once I try to capture a frame. GPA works and captures frames in BF3 no problem.

Anyway, smaller games are now opened for my exploration with NSight :)

Hi,

What do you mean by “getting stuck”? Are you encountering a hang, crash, or other bad behavior?

Dan