Jetson TK1 Development Kit Now Available

Hi Everyone,
I am excited to announce that a Tegra K1 based devkit, called the Jetson TK1 Devkit is now available to buy.

Learn about its features at:
[url]https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1[/url]

Its just $192 - a great devkit.
Enjoy !

I just pre-ordered my devkit. I am very excited about having a well spec’ed alternative to the many ARM dev boards out there and mainly interested in exploring home/living-room applications. And at $1 per cuda-core that cheap! :-p

Couple of questions/comments:

1. Is there an RTC on board? And can the RTC be battery backed up?
  2. The information in the specs PDF file about the expansion headers is very minimal. It would really
    help to know things like:
    2a. which I2C/UART/etc. buses are used or free
    2b. whether the I2C/UART/SPI run at 3.3v
    2c. max voltage tolerated on the pins
    2d. max current that GPIO can provide etc.
  3. Are you planning any videos describing how to setup the board?
  4. There is also no information on the expected power requirements of the board. Is there any circuitry on board so that it can be run off rechargeable lithium-ion batteries
  5. Are there any recommendations for compatible mini-pcie cards for wlan+Bluetooth, should I assume anything compatible with the kernel version should work.
  6. The product photos are very-low res, I am hoping that better pics will be posted at some point

Other things that I am curious about:

1. have you tried running the Steam linux client on it?
  2. will NVIDIA think about doing a Shield sw release for the devkit?

Thanks!

Note: I edited my original post to add more questions

Answering the only question I can: The Steam client is x86 only, so it doesn’t run on ARM. I belive same goes for any games on Steam, x86 only.

Why don’t you ship to Singapore?

How many of the K1’s MIPI CSI2 camera data lines (differential serial lines)are brought out to the expansion headers? I believe that the K1 has 8 diff pair serial channels coming off the chip. Ar all of them brought out to a connector?

It looks from the Jetson dev board schematic that the board brings off four MIPI CS2 channels for one camera out to the extension connector, but only one CS2 channel for a second camera to the connector. I believe that the K1 chip has four MIPI CS2 channels for both cameras. However, I have been unable to verify this, as I haven’t been able to get a copy of the official chip data sheet.

There are multiple re-sellers, did you check them all?

The board schematics seems to be available at https://developer.nvidia.com/jetson-tk1-support

Does that include the info you are looking for?

If I develop a product using the Jetson dev kit, will I be able to buy quantities (~10,000) of the K1 for my production runs? Where will I buy it? Will it be in distribution? If so, what distributors? What is the target price of the K1 in prototype quantities (10-100)? What about the price in production quantities (10,000-100,000)?

re-sellers are always bad idea because they charge too much money.
I rather buy it in $ and pay for shipping to UK :(

and I just checked price with avionic design (the only one in UK who has the price atm)
board is 200€ + VAT and 50€ shipping to UK. Are u kidding me!!!

+1

Where can I get the detailed specs on the K1? Electrical, registers, I/O, memory map, programming model, etc? Will this chip info come with the Jetson dev kit?

Some answers and a contact form can be found here:

Are there any csi-2 mipi camera boards available that fit nicely on the expansion port?
Can’t wait to try out some computer vision algorithms on this puppy!

Can some one share the instructions about how to enable cuda in OpenCV on K1?
libcuda.so does not seem to work…sad…

sure there are; I’m planning to test with raspberry pi camera board which is CSI-2 if my memory serves me.

Thanks for the info rmamba. Looks like the 15 pin raspberry cam csi connector does not match the 3x25 expansion port configuration on the TK1 though. I’m afraid that fabricating an interconnect myself might mess up the mipi’s LVDS signalling.

+1

F.A.Q. for Jetson is very basic it would be great if NVIDIA team could improve it with answers on these questions. Question about power consumption and battery is IMHO very important.

Again if my memory serves me, it should be differential pair with 90Ohm impedance. So same as for USB signalling. I will make an expansion board for it with raspberry pi camera connector and other goodies. But first I need some cheap way of obtaining this in UK. Not paying 250€ to be shipped from Germany if it costs me 150€ in US.

Yes, there is an RTC, but there is no battery back up. There is a supercapacitor, but its memory is retained for a few seconds without power as it’s intended only for brief power removal.

Better documentation on the headers is being worked on.

Most GPIOs are at 1.8V and would need a level translator for 3.3V. All I2C are 1.8V except GEN2, which is 3.3V.

The signals are generally not over-voltage tolerant.

Typically a few mA drive each.

Wattage characterization is in progress.

Regarding batteries, the Jetson input voltage is designed for 12V ±10%. Ranges significantly outside of that are not being tested. Voltages above 16.0V will damage the device, and it won’t run below 10V presently. Also, the SATA drive is directly powered from the input, and was designed for 12V, so any variation may affect SATA drive performance and reliability.

Many cards should work as long as their drivers are compiled for ARM. The board was tested successfully with a few Realtek PCIe cards.