motherboard recommendation for multi-gpu setup

Need to upgrade my motherboard and was looking for recommendations for a reliable motherboard which will not split the x16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes down to x8 if there are more than one gpu attached.

Will have 4 GPUs to put in the system, 2 Tesla K20c, 1 GTX 680 and 1 GTX 780ti. Since the GTX 780ti is the fastest for integer calculations I will use linux->GTX 780ti for that work, and then use the K20s in Windows for MATLAB mex CUDA work(64 bit). To keep things simple probably will connect the video out the the GTX 680.

It will be a dual-boot Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with the other partition being Ubuntu 13.04. Will probably still use the same i-7 3.9 ghz CPU.

This machine will be for both computational work and (for relaxation) games, so not sure if the motherboards which are labeled as ‘server’ will be adequate.

One option would be:

[url]Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

But I would like to hear from those who have had good/bad experiences with their boards.

It’s the best board so why asking for other options? Just buy it.

I have the non-black edition of that motherboard… got in on clearance a while back… that being said, the black edition I don’t think it meets your requirements:

“4 x PCIe3.0 x16 slots, support x16; x16/x16; x16/x8/x16 and x16/x8/x8/x8”
So you can have at most 2 GPUs @ x16 and 1 @ x8 or 1 @ x16 and 3 @ x8

I believe this one will do x16 on 4 GPU’s at the same time:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157327

vacaloca,

Thanks, that will do the trick. I really need the full bandwidth for some real-time projects.

why waste money on those? P9X79-E WS is the correct board to get.

The ASRock X79 Extreme11 and the ASUS P9X79-E WS are the only LGA-2011 mobos with two PLX chips until LGA-2011-3 comes out in a few months…

Though, two PLX chips might also introduce additional latency. Maybe X79 isn’t for you and you need a chipset with more PCIe lanes. ;)

Supposedly X99 (LGA 2011-3, DDR4 RAM) platform will come out perhaps late Q2 or Q3 of this year according to an Intel press release a few months back. Unless you need it immediately, maybe it makes sense to wait like sascha mentioned.

I’m confused, OP. Your original plan assigns one GPU to Linux, two to Windows, and one to video out. Wouldn’t you be able to access all three non-video-out GPUs from both OS’s on a dual boot machine?

By the way, I know this is two years later. How’d the build work out?

I was talking about a dual-boot system, sorry for the confusion. Given that I would only be able to put one CPU in the system I did not want to split the 40 PCI-E lanes 4 ways so just used 2 of the highest capability GPUs in the one box with an X99 motherboard.

Ended up with 2 dual-boot machines with 2 GPUs each, which has been sufficient for my work.