Nsight Tegra - Visual Studio error message: "Unable to start debugging."

Hello,

we are working with a Nexus 7 (“adb devices” command shows it). The sample projects build properly and run on the device smoothly, but when we try to debug them an error message appears:

Unable to start debugging. Check your debugger settings by opening project properties and navigating to ‘Configuration Properties–>Debugging’

We tried changing several parameters in the debugger window but the same message keeps showing.

We think this might be related to the fact that the devices toolbar has no device listed. The problem looks like the one in this other thread [url]2.0r9 / tegra nsight 1.5.1 upgrade issue. - Nsight Visual Studio Edition - NVIDIA Developer Forums, we are even using the same version of the toolkit, but their solution isn’t working for us.

At this point we have ran out of ideas, so any help will be very much appreciated.

Hi EMartorell,

We’ve received similar complaints from our internal users not a long time ago. While we’re fixing this on our side, please check if there are old (< 1.5.1) extensions left in the Nsight Tegra extension folder: c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\NVIDIA\Nsight Tegra. If it is so, then please manually delete the whole Nsight Tegra folder and reinstall. Otherwise please try launching “c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.com /setup”.

Hello Dmitry, thank you for your answer. We checked and there are no old extensions (< 1.5.1) in the folder (this was our the first install). Also running “devenv.com /setup” didn’t fix anything. I think we’ll have to wait until this is fixed.

Thanks,
Eduard.

Hi, with the new released version (3.0.1r) the problem is solved. Everything running smoothly!

Regards,
Eduard.

Hi,

I currently use VS2015 and NVIDIA_Nsight_Tegra_Release_3.4.16231.3325, and got the same issue but cannot fix this either with methods that quoted above. so is this the same problem appears again?

Hi Nico—,

Most likely your problem is caused by the MEF cache corruption - try to clean it by using this extension:

or manually by running these 2 commands in VS developer command prompt

Devenv /UpdateConfiguration
Devenv /ClearCache

https://github.com/Microsoft/VSProjectSystem/blob/master/doc/overview/mef.md#mef-inside-visual-studio

It would be great if you could attach here the MEF error report before cleaning the cache
The file path is %localappdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio[Version]\ComponentModelCache\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Default.err

yes,I installed the extension and solved this problem, thank you!

I’ve tried everything suggested in this thread (reinstalling, checking for old extensions, devenv /setup, clearing MEF cache) etc without success.

I see my device in the list (samsung SM-G950U1 Android 7.0 (API 24)) but any attempt to attach to my process or start it via VS results in -

The debugger is not properly installed. Cannot debug the requested type of code. Run setup to install or repair the debugger.

I’m using I’ve tried everything suggested in this thread (reinstalling, checking for old extensions, devenv /setup, clearing MEF cache) etc without success.

I see my device in the list (samsung SM-G950U1 Android 7.0 (API 24)) but any attempt to attach to my process or start it via VS results in -

The debugger is not properly installed. Cannot debug the requested type of code. Run setup to install or repair the debugger.

I’m using Visual Studio 2015 Update 3, with Tegra Development Platform, Visual Studio Edition 3.4.16231.3325

Hello andrew.grant, make sure that you don’t have the official P4 Helix extension integrated into your VS 2015, as it can be the reason for the error that you see.

That was it! Thanks!

I can attest that disabling the P4 Helix plugin fixed this issue in Visual Studio Community 2013

I’m actually immensely curious why (or how) the Perforce extension is interfering with the Tegra debugger. I’ve noticed it does some pretty weird things with Entity Framework (for .Net) as well when enabled.