NVIDIA, will we get a GT-930 or GT-940?

Well, i think lots of pp out there could use a small maxwell, like the successor to the NVIDIA GT 630 oder GT 640 graphics cards. Its a low cost platform to use the newest CUDA API and i would love to buy one. Plz give it to me, NVIDIA! Right now there are only the way more expensive and TDP heavy maxwells… :(

How low a TDP do you need? According to NVIDIA’s specification, the TDP of a Maxwell-based GTX 750 is 55 watts, while the Kepler-based GT640 is either 65W or 49W depending on variant (DDR3 vs DDR5):

[url]http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750/specifications[/url]
[url]http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt640/specifications[/url]

A quick check with an internet search engine shows that GTX 750 with 1 GB of memory retails for about $120 and slightly more for models with 2 GB. Whether that is considered “low cost” probably depends on your circumstances.

True, but not complete. The lowest TDP for the Kepler based GPUs is 25W.

I would love to see 25W Maxwells. The Kepler GPU are still on sale and retailing for as low as 80 dollars (~70 EUR where i live). Thats a very good offer to built low cost programming clients. Then send the finished code to a tesla server to do the work…

Keep in mind that the performance characteristics of very low-end GPUs can be different enough from the highest-end Tesla parts that code may not scale as well as hoped. My personal take is that a mid to high-end consumer GPU is probably a better choice as a development platform for code that is ultimately deployed on a Tesla.

For people acquiring a GPU simply to learn CUDA, the lowest cost GPUs may well be good enough, and if those are Kepler-based, not much is lost in terms of architectural capabilities.

Thanks for your input.

I have not mentioned one of the most obvious advantages of the proposed GT-930 yet. No fans. With 25W dissipated heat, there is not need for active cooling. That means no noise coming out of the pc case (and one part less prone to failure).

All in all, there are so many benefits of these small cards, i rly dont understand why NVIDIA is not selling them yet. Demand is there.

If passive cooling is what you are after, you might want to look into a passively-cooled GTX 750, such as the model reported on here:

[url]http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/78097-asus-quietly-releases-passively-cooled-geforce-gtx-750/[/url]

Generally speaking, profit-oriented entities release new products if they think they can make more money selling them than they are making selling their existing products. It all boils down to economics.

Greetings…
The GTX950 release date is 17 aug 2015:

The GT940 and GT930 rumors are 1 sep 2015:

Look on it this way next year we will get GPUs on 14nm, lower power consumptions, faster and cooler vid cards!!!

Nvidia, when you will release the desktop GT940 & GT930???

Here is a question for you: What makes you think there will be a desktop GT 940 and GT 930?

Looking at the overall graphics market I observe that integrated GPUs are invading what used to be the low-end of the discrete GPU market, so it may make little sense for NVIDIA to release such parts. That is pure speculation on my part of course, I have no particular knowledge of NVIDIA’s road map. But I have not even seen credible “leaked” information about a desktop GT 940 and GT 930, thus my question to you.

Here are a few clues:

Are you even a hard core user of iGPUs and GPUs in general?

As someone who has physically tested the Intel HD Graphics chips vs AMD vs nVidia discrete graphics cards to see how they perform for HTPC needs.

The Intel HD Graphics 1000-4000 series can run in XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

The emergence of Haswell killed that forcing Windows 7 only drivers and later Windows 10 support.

While comparing the power of the Intel HD Graphics 530/630 it is still inferior to an AMD Radeon HD 6450 or an nVidia GT 710 discrete graphics card.

One reason this “GT 930” 15 Watt Maxwell Edition would have been successful even today as one user mentioned due to the extremely low wattage this could be made into a single slot passively cooled graphics card.

Second… the best driver support would exist for XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8.X, and 10. The reason being it is based on Maxwell which already has drivers up to the GTX 960 but also works on the GTX 970/980 by adding the appropriate Hardware IDs.

One major advantage the GT 930 would have over any Intel HD Graphics chip or even an AMD APU is the ability to add full size HDMI, DVI, and VGA video connectors and they will work to play Blu-ray movies even in XP. Motherboards vary having all three on board.

With only 4GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and an nVidia GT 930 15 Watt TDP Graphics card you could assemble a very powerful low wattage powered HTPC system capable of running XP and play Blu-ray movies. Or increase the storage to 128GB if you want to use Vista, Windows 7, or 10.

The Intel HD Graphics drivers are utter crap and quite limited so your evaluation of the integrated graphics being a superior replacement is flawed. Even if AMD’s APU equivalent was slightly more powerful than the Intel iGPU you will still be limited by OS drivers available usually W7 or W10. A discrete graphics card is a superior choice even for a HTPC and more versatile.

If I had a choice I’d take a GT 930 Maxwell over any GT 1030 or future post Pascal generation which would narrow you to only Windows 7 or 10 and everyone knows a GT 1030 would not be effectively that powerful on Windows 7 as a GT 930 would be more effectively more powerful for XP programs. You’d probably have to wait 4-5 more generations till the last Windows 7 supported generation architecture and get the low end model to have the same performance equivalence as how the GT 930 performs in XP.

Since there’s no telling when Windows 7 graphics driver support will be ended by nVidia but I do have a feeling Windows 7 has become the next XP thorn of the 64-Bit flavor which will cause it to get extended support possibly till 2026. It already supports 192GB of RAM max and possibly 2TB easily with a small patch borrowed from Windows 10 so it is very unlikely Windows 7 will die as easy as XP 32-Bit. Next it supports GPT and DX 11.1 so storage wise it can go up to 8 EB and I see no real need for DX 12.0 being a hindrance to stop using Windows 7. So a GT 1530 of the future would be a very powerful low end HTPC card to play Windows 7 titles maybe on par with a GTX 1070 or 1080 Ti of today in a single slot fanless form.

There is only one really significant advantage that an iGPU can provide over a discrete graphics card and it’s slimming down the entire chassis if no cards are installed you could have an extremely flat CPU chassis possible as low as 4 inches to include a standard ATX PSU. However to really take advantage of this they need to get the CPUs down to 7 watts which may make them run passively with a small heatsink. That would be a superior choice for an extremely thin HTPC design.

P.S.
The GTX 750 60 Watt Passive graphics card you mentioned which I also own is a dual slot and is missing a full sized VGA port. Comparatively a GT 930 Maxwell at 15 Watts TDP with VGA, DVI, and HDMI full sized connectors in a single slot fanless is a better choice for a HTPC. In fact the AMD Radeon HD 6450 was for a long time the best single slot fanless you could get for an HTPC. Currently a GT 710 is the only card from nVidia in a single slot fanless design and still inferior to the much wanted 15 Watt “GT 930” Maxwell which should have been released since 2016 and would have been twice the performance and using less wattage than the GT 710.