Cuda Driver for GTX 960 on Windows 7 64-bit

All CUDA packages I’ve tried (6.5.14, 6.5.19, 7.0.18.rc) report “This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware”. I have 347.52 driver installed.

How do I install CUDA?

My development platform is MATLAB 2014b Parallel Toolbox.

I have a 64-bit Win 7 system with driver 347.52. This is the latest WHQL driver, dated February 11. When did the GTX 960 start shipping? If it was after early February, it may not be supported yet in the WHQL driver (which seems to get refreshed about once a month). There may be beta drivers available that support the GTX 960, have you looked around?

I can’t find a newer beta version in the developer zone. However, the 347.52 driver supports the GTX 960. All of the NVIDIA applets (control panel, experience, etc.) accuracy report the GTX 960 and capabilities. The occasional game uses it properly. The MATLAB gpuDevice(1) command finds and reports the card accurately.

The NVIDIA control panel reports the following:

NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.13.4752 NVIDIA CUDA 7.0.23 driver

However, the CUDA installer gives same error “This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware” on installation attempts.

Use the 347.52 driver.

When running the CUDA installer, select a custom install and deselect the option to install the GPU driver, which will result in the 347.52 driver being used.

After this you should be able to run CUDA apps.

Just a note for anyone with the same problem, you only get the custom option if you use the network installer for the latest version of CUDA (7).

I selected only the three components that start with CUDA - all the other Nvidia ones were already installed (I checked) when I installed the latest drivers for my GPU.

I don’t believe this is correct. I’ve personally used the Windows CUDA 7 standalone installer and observed the option to deselect installation of the bundled driver. Previous CUDA standalone windows installers have had this option as well. In fact, you can find evidence of that right on this forum if you search for it.