Application disappears when using graphics debugging

Hi
I’ve got an application which I’d like to profile. If I run it in the normal debugger or just like this, it works just fine. When I enter the graphics debugger, the app starts up but disappears just before the first frame is rendered.

In the debug output tab, I have this:

The thread ‘Graphics’ (0x0) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program ‘[0x2768] Simulator.exe: Graphics’ has exited with code 0 (0x0).

And in the nsight tab, I see the following output:

Shader created : 1 1
Shader created : 2 1
Shader created : 3 1
Shader created : 4 1
Shader created : 5 1
Shader created : 6 1
Shader created : 7 1
Shader created : 8 1
Shader created : 9 1
Shader created : a 1
Shader created : b 1
Shader created : 1 1
Shader created : 2 1
Shader created : 3 1
Shader created : 4 1
Shader created : 5 1
Shader created : 6 1
Shader created : 7 1
Shader created : 8 1
Shader created : 9 1
Shader created : a 1
Shader created : b 1

But unfortunately, no more information. Is there any way to find out what went wrong here?

Thanks

Hi bschindler,

Hard to say why, could you show us more:

• Does the Simulator.exe still exist in taskmgr.exe?
  • What’s the version of your Nsight, OS, GPU, Driver?
  • Any chance we can have your sample to do more deep investigation? That will make job more effective.

Thanks
An

Hi

I know I have little information. That’s why I asked: how can I gather more information about what went wrong and not “what did go wrong”…
To answer your questions specifically:

• No, Simulator.exe disappears in the task manager
  • Nsight 4.5, Windows 8.1 64bit, Nvidia GTX 760, driver 347.52
  • Sorry, I am (unfortunately) not allowed to give out a sample :(

Again, what would be really helpful is some hints on how I can figure out what went wrong. I’m sure nsight produces some logs of some kind?

Null

Hi bschindler,

Ok, if Simulator.exe just disappear in taskmgr, that means your app crashed or just terminate itself. Did you ever see some dialog box which let you save the dmp file or send it to us through email? Nsight have some code which monitor the crash and save dmp.

Thanks
An

That is the weird thing - I don’t see any crash dialog or anything similar. The app just vanishes and that’s it.

Hi,

Are you set proper working directory in Nsight user settings dialog box? It’s different, but similar like your visual studio’s debug config about working directory.

On the other hand, you can try to debug your sample with nsight. I mean just debug your process like this: ${Nsight Monitor Installment}\Nvda.Launcher.exe ${your sample exe}, set bp in your codes, that might help and tell us what really happens in your sample or nsight.

Thanks
An