GTX 960 CUDA questions

Is CUDA compatible/available on a Gigabyte GTX 960 g1 video card ?

If yes, what driver should I install to make it work ? I’m using a lot of rendering programs (e.g After Effects, Premiere, etc.) but I don’t seem to find the CUDA active on my computer.

Nvidia driver version is 347.52.

I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

[url]https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-downloads-geforce-gtx9xx[/url]

I believe this would be right place to download CUDA for your GPU. At least it is for the GTX 970 and GTX 980.

download and install, then you should be ready to go. If you use Windows and visual studio then it should find it and somewhat enable you to go from there.

I just downloaded and tried to install it, this popped up :

I really don’t understand why, should I just continue with it ?

I only installed .NET framework 4.0 and my editing software. Should I install a specific DirectX version or other Microsoft Visual C++ libraries ?

I’m not using Visual Studio at all.

Ughh, they still have not fixed that yet?

Not your fault, it may still work anyway.

Install it(ignoring the message) and then try to run CUDA-Z. If it is not installed correctly CUDA-Z will not work. You could also try the samples in the SDK, but CUDA-Z is faster and gives you an idea of the performance metrics.

http://cuda-z.sourceforge.net/

If it does not work then select the ‘custom install’ option and elect NOT install the driver with CUDA.

The CUDA toolkits are a snapshot in time. If GTX 960 is developed after that point in time, a new driver will be required for it. That means the driver in any previously posted toolkit (or any previously posted location anywhere) will not work.

Stated another way, that link you provided will never, ever contain a valid driver for GTX960 (or any other future graphics card).

If the latest posted toolkit does not have a valid driver for your GPU (this happens from time to time), the recommended process is to leave your existing driver intact, and this popup notifies you that you will need to do this; the driver in the toolkit will most likely not work with your card, so you should not attempt to use it.

You can leave your driver intact using the custom install method.

The CUDA 7 RC driver may work on that GTX 960. The CUDA 7 production release driver almost certainly will.

Oh god, I’m totally new using CUDA, I was expecting at a “one-click-install-button” and that’s it. I bought the video card specifically for the CUDA, because everybody recommended it for the GPU acceleration when it comes to rendering and video editing, which I do a lot.

Is CUDA 7 released yet or will be soon ? Feels weird buying a pretty expensive graphic card for one single feature and that feature does not actually work.

It’s possible, but unlikely that your issues are associated with having or not having a CUDA toolkit installed.

Professional applications (e.g. Adobe products) should recognize the GPUs they are capable of working with, and not require any toolkits to be installed.

This is entirely possible with CUDA. CUDA-aware applications can be statically linked against the needed CUDA libraries, in which case they only depend on having a proper driver installed for the GPU.

If a product like Adobe Premiere is not using your GPU when you think it should, I’m skeptical that installing a CUDA toolkit (or even a new driver, in the case of 347.52) would fix the issue.

The primary purpose of the CUDA toolkit is to enable developers to write code that uses CUDA. If you’re simply concerned about making Adobe Premiere work, I don’t really know much about it. My intent in commenting in this thread was to point out that the popup indicating the driver does not match your GPU is to be expected when trying to install an older driver or toolkit on a newer card.

I have GTX 960, and had same install problem.

In my case, cuda_7.0.28_windows.exe only solved it.
(I tried 6.5 for GTX9xx, and 7RC. but they could not find GTX 960.)

Now, I can develop CUDA program!

Hi,

Unfortunately you won’t be able to use your GTX 960 with After Effects. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I had to read it from a website. I also bought a GTX960 after a GTX660 which ran the raytracer in AE no problem but to put it simply the raytracer does not support the new architecture.
@After Effects error: Ray-traced 3D: Initial shader compile failed. (5070::0)

You will get this error with the GTX-750, GTX-750 Ti and the GTX-900 series video cards. So with these video cards do not enable the GPU for Ray Traced 3D in After Effects.

“After Effects only used the NVidia CUDA cores with the Ray Traced 3D Render Engine. It does use the GPU with OpenGL for a few other minor things. For these things the GTX-750, GTX-750 Ti and the GTX-900 series video cards will work just fine. It is ONLY the Ray Traced 3D Render Engine that can’t be enable.”

http://www.studio1productions.com/blog/?p=346

In After Effects, go to Preferences>Previews and click on the “GPU Information…” button. In the new window that pops up, activate the box for “Enable untested, unsupported GPU for CUDA acceleration…” Make sure that the GPU is selected in the “Ray Tracing:” drop-down, and you’re good to go. Worked wonders for my render times using my GTX960. The card typically runs at ~35-40 C during renders.