NSight keeps crashing in Visual Studio with null reference exception

Visual Studio 2013
GTX750ti
Windows 7 Pro
nVidia Driver 340.62
CUDA 6.5

The profiler results viewer keeps crashing. I haven’t nailed down exactly what causes the crash, but it’s usually when I’m going to a different view on a profile results. It also happens very frequently. Viewing Kernel-Level results from the “Profile CUDA Application” seems to cause the most crashes.

Stack Trace

Application: devenv.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ArgumentNullException
Stack:
   at System.Windows.Automation.Peers.UIElementAutomationPeer..ctor(System.Windows.UIElement)
   at Telerik.Windows.Automation.Peers.BarSeriesAutomationPeer.GetChildrenCore()
   at System.Windows.Automation.Peers.AutomationPeer.EnsureChildren()
   at System.Windows.Automation.Peers.AutomationPeer.UpdateChildrenInternal(Int32)
   at System.Windows.Automation.Peers.AutomationPeer.UpdateChildren()
   at System.Windows.Automation.Peers.AutomationPeer.UpdateSubtree()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.fireAutomationEvents()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.UIElement.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.Controls.TabItem.OnPreviewGotKeyboardFocus(System.Windows.Input.KeyboardFocusChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnPreviewGotKeyboardFocusThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.KeyboardFocusChangedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardFocusChangedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.TryChangeFocus(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.Input.IKeyboardInputProvider, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.Focus(System.Windows.DependencyObject, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Input.KeyboardDevice.Focus(System.Windows.IInputElement)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.Focus()
   at System.Windows.Controls.TabItem.SetFocus()
   at System.Windows.Controls.TabItem.OnMouseLeftButtonDown(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonDownThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseDownThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Application Error

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 12.0.31101.0, time stamp: 0x54548724
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x53159a86
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c42d
Faulting process id: 0x13c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0627100f8d183
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 96257a13-ce64-11e4-87ff-00031d0eda29

Windows Error Reporting

Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: devenv.exe
P2: 12.0.31101.0
P3: 54548724
P4: PresentationCore
P5: 4.0.30319.18408
P6: 52313210
P7: 1cd8
P8: 13
P9: System.ArgumentNullException
P10:

Hi,

Which Nsight are you using? Would you mind upgrate to the latest release version (4.6) and the recommended driver? If the problem remains, could you describe your operation in detail? That will be helpful for us to repro. One known issue is pressing the NumPadDivide(/) to collapse all rows below selected row will cause Nsight crash. Hope you are not that case. Thanks.

I can’t upgrade to 4.6 (my CUDA developer profile hasn’t been approved yet). I downloaded the latest CUDA toolkit, which came with NSight 4.5.0.15036.

I still have the same problem. I can reliably reproduce it with the following steps:

1. Start a Performance Analysis session.
  2. Change the Activity Type to Profile CUDA Application
  3. Under Experiment Settings → Experiments to Run, select Memory.
  4. Launch the profiling session (Launch under Application Control)
  5. In the results, go to Cuda Launches
  6. Select Memory Statistics under Experiment Results
  7. Select one of the memory type tabs under the memory chart / graph
  8. Observe Visual Studio crashing with the above errors.

Hi,

I have tried your Nsight but cannot get a repro on my side. I guess it’s a sample specific issue. Would you mind share your project with us? Give me your emai address and I will send you a FTP site to upload. Thanks.

Or could you send your nvreport to us? Find it at C:\temp. Compress a crash report folder and send it to qzhang@nvidia.com. Thanks.