Nvidia drivers 352.09 dont install

Hi i try install 352.09 drivers and dont work showing unable compile kernel module error

In nvidia-intaller.log on /var say CC version dont are same

I try use IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 but dont work (with nvidia 349 series works without problem)

I use kernel 3.18.0-031800-generic and now have installed gcc-4.5, gcc-4.6, gcc-4.7, gcc-4.8, gcc-4.9 and gcc-5 (with nvidia 349 series works without problem only push on ignore ask and works without problem)

However i try default kernel (3.13) in mint 17 xfce 64bits with same results

Thanks

What compiler was used to compile the kernel? Can you please attach /var/log/nvidia-installer.log after a failed installation?

Thanks for response

This is nvidia-installer.log content

nvidia-installer log file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’
creation time: Mon May 18 17:03:44 2015
installer version: 352.09

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
→ Detected 2 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 2.
→ License accepted.
→ Installing NVIDIA driver version 352.09.
→ Running distribution scripts
executing: ‘/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install’…
→ done.
→ The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
→ Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: No)
→ Performing CC sanity check with CC=“/usr/bin/cc”.
→ Kernel source path: ‘/lib/modules/3.18.0-031800-generic/build’
→ Kernel output path: ‘/lib/modules/3.18.0-031800-generic/build’
→ Performing rivafb check.
→ Performing nvidiafb check.
→ Performing Xen check.
→ Performing PREEMPT_RT check.
→ Cleaning kernel module build directory.
executing: ‘cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make clean’…
→ Building NVIDIA kernel module:
executing: ‘cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/3.18.0-031800-generic/build SYSOUT=/lib/modules/3.18.0-031800-generic/build -j2 NV_BUILD_MODULE_INSTANCES=’…

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to
compile the kernel:

gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

does not match the compiler used here:

cc (Ubuntu 4.9.2-0ubuntu1~14.04) 4.9.2
Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Esto es software libre; vea el código para las condiciones de copia. NO hay
garantía; ni siquiera para MERCANTIBILIDAD o IDONEIDAD PARA UN PROPÓSITO EN
PARTICULAR

It is recommended to set the CC environment variable
to the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

The compiler version check can be disabled by setting
the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to “1”.
However, mixing compiler versions between the kernel
and kernel modules can result in subtle bugs that are
difficult to diagnose.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

make: *** [build-sanity-checks] Error 1
make: *** Se espera a que terminen otras tareas…
→ Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

However as curious date in 349 driver series ask if you want ignore cc check or abort but this screen dont appears in 352.09

Thanks

Does it work if you run the installer with CC set to gcc-4.6?

CC=gcc-4.6 ./path/to/installer.run

If that still doesn’t work, please attach the nvidia-installer.log from that failed run.

Sorry for response later i stay busy

But with your tip installation works without problem

Thanks

Hi, does not work in Ubuntu 15.04 installer 352.09 driver fails in the installation script and if installed by the OS repository corrupt and can start.

when i do this to correct the above CC error this is what i get:
ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in ‘/lib/modules/4.0.5-040005-generic/build’.

note: 349.16 installs perfectly fine. no need to run the “CC=gcc-4.6” thing and no other problems. i just click ignore CC check button and it installs.

what is going on with the 352 version?

No one has any problems with drivers 352.

If you’re messing with your compilers at least try to understand what you’re doing.

I recommend reinstalling the system from scratch and using distro supplied drivers.

nice job at being a condescending ass and not really helping at all. like i mentioned the 349 drivers work perfectly without the hassel of typing anything. there is nothing wrong with my system.

the only thing i did here was follow the directions outlined above for a certain error given by the nvidia staff. which produced another error. again these dont even occur in the 349 version which means something is wrong with the 352 version.

Something is wrong with your system. So far there are just two people out of tens of thousands who don’t have any problems.

Give me SSH access to your system and I’ll sort it out.

ssh is never going to happen.
…and if something was wrong 349 would error out as well. something is wrong with 352.

Does this still occur with 352.21? If so, can you please attach the nvidia-installer.log from a failed install attempt where you used the correct CC setting?

sure i will post both errors even so you can see them.

here is the first one which matches the first post. this is just running it as root (i.e ./path/to/installer.bin)

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Wed Jun 24 12:12:03 2015
installer version: 352.21

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

./nvidia-installer

-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 352.21.
-> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 349.16).  As part of installing this driver (version: 352.21), the existing driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
-> Running distribution scripts
   executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'...
-> done.
-> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed!  Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="/usr/bin/cc".
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/4.0.5-040005-generic/build'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/4.0.5-040005-generic/build'
-> Performing rivafb check.
-> Performing nvidiafb check.
-> Performing Xen check.
-> Performing PREEMPT_RT check.
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make clean'...
-> Building NVIDIA kernel module:
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; /usr/bin/make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/4.0.5-040005-generic/build SYSOUT=/lib/modules/4.0.5-040005-generic/build -j8  NV_BUILD_MODULE_INSTANCES='...

Compiler version check failed:

The major and minor number of the compiler used to
   compile the kernel:

gcc version 4.6.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 

does not match the compiler used here:

cc (Ubuntu 4.9.1-16ubuntu6) 4.9.1
   Copyright (C) 2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
   warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

It is recommended to set the CC environment variable
   to the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

The compiler version check can be disabled by setting
   the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH environment variable to "1".
   However, mixing compiler versions between the kernel
   and kernel modules can result in subtle bugs that are
   difficult to diagnose.

*** Failed CC version check. Bailing out! ***

nvidia-modules-common.mk:234: recipe for target 'build-sanity-checks' failed
   make: *** [build-sanity-checks] Error 1
   make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

here is the second error with the CC correction you that was posted above. (i.e CC=gcc-4.6 ./path/to/installer.bin)

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Wed Jun 24 12:14:19 2015
installer version: 352.21

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games

./nvidia-installer

-> Detected 8 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 8.
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 352.21.
-> There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 349.16).  As part of installing this driver (version: 352.21), the existing driver will be uninstalled.  Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
-> Running distribution scripts
   executing: '/usr/lib/nvidia/pre-install'...
-> done.
-> The distribution-provided pre-install script failed!  Are you sure you want to continue? (Answer: Continue installation)
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="gcc-4.6".
ERROR: Unable to determine the version of the kernel sources located in '/lib/modules/4.0.5-040005-generic/build'.  Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed.  If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

i dont understand why 352 is having such an issue when 349.16 installs fine and works great.

ok, well ive got it installed now. it took me a little while but now it installs. now, off to try the driver.