NVENC Second session returns null from nvEncRegisterResource but succeeds

Hi,

I am creating an NVENC session with shared direct3dsurface9’s which are registered then mapped.

If I create a single session with my code, all works fine. However if I create a second simultaneous session, using the same code, all creates successfully until I come to register the resources.

nvEncRegisterResource returns NV_ENC_SUCCESS but the returned pointer to the registeredResource is null.

Surely if nvEncRegisterResource fails then it should not return NV_ENC_SUCCESS? Because, unsurprisingly when I then try to map the null resource I then get an error.

I am not sure what else to try now to get it working with more than one session. Any ideas?

A bit more info

• I have tried it on a Quadro K3000M and a GTX970 both with the same problem.
  • I am using the same IDirect3DDevice9Ex to create the Direct3dSurface9 surfaces I am passing the NVENC sessions and also pass this device to both sessions.
  • My code is a modified version of the H264NVEncoder example.

Thanks for any help

Did you find a solution?

I’m facing exactly the same problem. I hope an engineer from NVidia can respond to this? It feels like a bug in their code.

In my case it is even not a second simultaneous session; I encode a video fine the first time, and then I destroy all objects. Running the same code the second time crashes. I only have a single session running.

I had the same problem when the source D3D9Ex surface came from NVFBC. By carefully comparing my code to the NVFBC SDK sample code I realized the problem was caused by capturing a frame to the D3D9Ex surface before asking NVENC to register the surface.

Perhaps the issue in other cases is the surface has already been rendered to, or otherwise used.

Update [2017-01-16]: The Capture SDK samples don’t set the NV_ENC_REGISTER_RESOURCE.bufferFormat member. By setting it explicitly to the matching format I avoid the above issue and can capture to the resource before NVENC registers the resource.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/designworks/video-codec-sdk/secure/7.0/NVENC_DA-06209-001_v08.pdf?autho=1477887546_26bba3f0251a06761715a63093234c13&file=NVENC_DA-06209-001_v08.pdf

on the page 7 —> 3.NVENC LICENSING POLICY
documentation Mentioned all non-qualified cards limit to 2 concurrent encoding sessions…

and you can try to use ffmpeg do the encode, it is very simple!!