Can not enter frame debugging

I have a GeForce 640 installed on the Win7. When I clicked “Pause and Capture Frame” in the NSIGHT menu, I was told:

FrameDebugger: Cannot enter frame debugging for D3D9, D3D11, and OpenGL 4.2. 
Reason: glColor3f 
To see all incompatibilities, see C:\....\nvcompatlog.txt 
Please send this list to ...

The contents of nvcompatlog.txt are:

glColor3f
                                               glRasterPos2f
                                                    glBitmap

I then checked using the wglGetProcAddress API, it returns NULL. But if I ran the following two lines:

HMODULE module = LoadLibraryA("opengl32.dll");
p = (void *)GetProcAddress(module, "glColor3f");

p is non-zero. The same are true for the other two. So my questions are:

(1) That the returned p is non-zero from the GetProcAddress API call shows that my system does support glColor3f, although not directly. Is there any way out to let Nsight be aware of it and use glColor3f so that I can enter Frame Debugger?

(2) I checked the list in https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-visual-studio-edition-supported-gpus-full-list. GeForce 640 is not in it but GeForce 640M is, and so are GeForce GT 630, 620, 610, etc., which are lower than 640. So why does Nsight just not support GeForce 640?

(3) If there is no hope to work around on GeForce 640, I will change a new graphics card. Are all models listed in the above webpage surely able to enter the Frame Debugger, say, Quadro 600 or Quadro K600?

Thanks.

Hi zzzhhhzzzhhh,

1. No, Nsight support OGL 4.4 means Nsight support OGL 4.4 core profile, and glColor3f is deprecated from OGL core profile.

2. No, that should be supported, just for some reason it’s not listed there and as you know, there are many kinds of GT 640. GT640M is different with GT640.

3. As I said, the unsupported issue is not due to your GPU, but your sample is using some unsupported APIs like glColor3f, glRasterPos2f, glBitmap, etc. and these unsupported API is not part of OGL core profile [called deprecated API], hence Nsight don’t support that.

Thanks
An

I removed the deprecated OpenGL APIs and I’m so glad to see I can now enter the debugger. Thank you very much, AYan!

“Nsight support OGL 4.4 means Nsight support OGL 4.4 core profile”

will this change ?

I am working with a bug chunk of code
I can get rid of some calls
but not all :
in particular List call which are still the faster way to draw stroke char

I understand the complexoty imvolved but ?

thanks
Mâa

nvcompatLog.txt :
glGenLists
glDisable (cap = 0x00000D80)
glNewList
glBegin
glNormal3fv
glVertex3fv
glEnd
glEndList
glCallList
glScalef
glVertex3f
glColor4fv
glVertexPointer
glDisableClientState (array = 0x00008074) Classic attributes are not supported
glNormal3f
glVertex2fv
glVertex2f
glNamedStringARB
glTexEnvi
glLightModeli
glLightf
glFrustum
glListBase
glCallLists
glColor3fv
glCompileShaderIncludeARB
glTexCoordPointer
glNormalPointer

Hi,

Right now, Nsight should support some deprecated OGL API like: glColor4f(), glShadeModel().

Thanks
An

Was support for legacy ogl code removed at some point? I’ve just inherited some fairly stale fixed function code and NSight is failing on it. Is there a version that it does still work on?

Nsight Visual Studio Edition does not support OGL debugging now. For OGL debugging, you need to use “Nsight Graphic” instead.