Is this a bug in OptiX?

It seems to me that the following code demonstrates that there is a bug in OptiX:

#include <optix_world.h>
#include "device_functions.h"

using namespace optix;

struct PerRayData_calculate {
	bool squeegee;
};

rtDeclareVariable(rtObject, specimen_object, , );
rtDeclareVariable(uint, oneDimensionalIndex, rtLaunchIndex, );
rtDeclareVariable(PerRayData_calculate, currentPrd, rtPayload, );
rtBuffer<uint, 1> myBuffer;

RT_PROGRAM void causeTrouble() {
	const optix::Ray ray = optix::make_Ray(make_float3(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f), make_float3(0.0f,0.0f,-1.0f), 0u, 0.01f, RT_DEFAULT_MAX);

PerRayData_calculate prd;
	prd.squeegee = false;
	rtTrace(specimen_object, ray, prd);

if (prd.squeegee) {
		atomicAdd(&(myBuffer[1u]), 1u);
		atomicAdd(&(myBuffer[0u]), 1u);
	}
	else {
		atomicAdd(&(myBuffer[2u]), 1u);
	}
}

RT_PROGRAM void miss() {
	currentPrd.squeegee = true;
}

RT_PROGRAM void exception() {
	rtPrintExceptionDetails();
}

Here is my code for the host side:

#define NOMINMAX
#define _USE_MATH_DEFINES
#include <optixu/optixpp_namespace.h>
#include <optixu/optixu_math_namespace.h>

using namespace optix;

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
	try {
		Context context = Context::create();

{
			std::vector<int> devs;
			devs.push_back(0);
			context->setDevices(devs.begin(), devs.end());
		}

context->setRayTypeCount(1);
		context->setEntryPointCount(1);
		context->setStackSize(16384);
		context->setPrintEnabled(true);
		context->setExceptionEnabled(RT_EXCEPTION_ALL, true);

context->setRayGenerationProgram(0, context->createProgramFromPTXFile("causeTrouble.cu.ptx", "causeTrouble"));
		context->setExceptionProgram(0, context->createProgramFromPTXFile("causeTrouble.cu.ptx", "exception"));
		context->setMissProgram(0, context->createProgramFromPTXFile("causeTrouble.cu.ptx", "miss"));

GeometryGroup group = context->createGeometryGroup();
		group->setChildCount(0u);
		group->setAcceleration(context->createAcceleration("NoAccel", "NoAccel"));
		context["specimen_object"]->set(group);

Buffer myBuffer = context->createBuffer(RT_BUFFER_INPUT_OUTPUT, RT_FORMAT_UNSIGNED_INT, 3);
		context["myBuffer"]->set(myBuffer);

memset(myBuffer->map(), 0, 3 * sizeof(uint));
		myBuffer->unmap();

context->launch(0, 100);

{
			const uint *data = (uint*)myBuffer->map();
			if (fprintf(stderr, "%u, %u, %u\n", data[0], data[1], data[2]) < 0)
				perror("fprintf");
			myBuffer->unmap();
		}

context->destroy();
	}
	catch (optix::Exception e) {
		if (fprintf(stderr, "%s\n", e.getErrorString().c_str()) < 0)
			perror("fprintf");
	}
}

I would expect to get 100, 100, 0, but in fact I get 193, 100, 93. According to https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/522795/optix/atomic-buffer-operations/, because I am using only one GPU (see lines 12-16 on the host side), atomicAdd should work properly on OptiX buffer elements. You can question the relevance of such an old forum post, but OptiX 3.8.0 has the “zoneplate” SDK sample still using atomicAdd as described in that discussion.

I tried modifying my code so that the buffer is declared with RT_BUFFER_GPU_LOCAL. In this case, I use an RT_PROGRAM function to initialize it to zeros, and I also use an RT_PROGRAM function to copy the result to an output buffer. I still get the same answer: 193, 100, 93.

If I make it a buffer of floats instead of uints, and use the corresponding version of the atomicAdd function, then the problem seems to be resolved. Zoneplate uses atomicAdd on elements of buffers of floats, so that explains why Zoneplate works. So I am using floats as a workaround to get my work done for now, but I think that an integral data type such as uint should be acceptable.

Do you get the same program behavior that I am seeing? Am I missing something? Is it a bug in OptiX?

I just tried it myself (Linux, OptiX 3.8, CUDA 7, arch=sm_30) and got the same results as you did.
It looks like a compiler bug to me, since it works if you e.g. add a rtPrintf inside the if:

if (prd.squeegee) {
                atomicAdd(&(myBuffer[1u]), 1u);
                rtPrintf("%i\n",prd.squeegee);
 }

I understand why you think it is a compiler bug, but my guess is that it is a bug in OptiX, arising during the behavior described in slide 9 of [url]http://on-demand.gputechconf.com/gtc/2013/presentations/S3475-Ray-Tracking-With-OptiX.pdf[/url]. That slide describes functionality that would modify PTX code because of the call to rtTrace on line 20 (which seems to cause the problem in the first place, although atomicAdd is apparently also relevant), and it would further modify PTX code with your call to rtPrintf. The release notes for OptiX 3.8.0 mention “Bug fixes for parsing CUDA 7.0 PTX,” which tells me that there really have been OptiX bugs similar to what I am suggesting, so I find it perfectly believable that I have stumbled on such a bug now. Does what I am saying make sense?

By “compiler” I did not necessarily mean nvcc as OptiX also uses compiler techniques internally. Since I created my reproducer as a drop-in for the OptiX SDK, I mailed it to the OptiX developers. Let’s wait and see :)

Can you please email me at musba002@umn.edu when they reply? I do not wish to continue checking this forum every day.