Nsight 4.6 Issue Efficiency Report Crashes Visual Studio 2013

I am trying to view Issue Efficiency data collected for a kernel launch in a profiling report generated by Nsight 4.6. Selecting this item, results in an immediate crash of Visual Studio.

Is there any other way to examine this data?

Branch Statistics also crashes the IDE.

Hi Jase,

Could you provide your Nsight version, driver version, VS version and GPU?

Without Nsight, could your app work? Except CUDA profiling, could you run through CUDA trace with your application?

Here is a way to see VS’s log. In your VS command line, laucnh “Devenv.exe /log ”. Then you may see in log file that why VS crashes.

If possible, providing your project will ease us to repro and investigate your problem a lot. Thanks.

Qian@nvidia.

Nsight 4.6.0.15071
Driver 353.30
GTX980 (GM204)
Visual Studio 2013 Service Pack 4 (12.0.31101.00)

Application runs OK without Nsight.
CUDA trace works OK.

Most of the report data from the profiling run is viewable. Selection of Issue Efficiency (or any of the graphic views for that matter) crashes the IDE.

I will examine the devenv.exe log for possible indicators.

Unfortunately, the project is SSI and proprietary so I am unable to provide this to you. Sorry.

Hi Jase,

Could you send your crashed profiling report to me? Its default location is C:\temp\xxx. It’s named by “exename_date_order”. Choose the one folder which will crash on your side and send it to qzhang@nvidia.com. Let me try on my side. Thanks.

BTW, what’s your OS version?

Qian

Hi Jase, I am the developer responsible for Nsight’s performance analysis tools. We won’t need your project to debug this. Just to confirm, are you seeing Visual Studio crash when selecting the experiments to run in the activity page, or after running when looking at the results in the report? It sounds like you are talking about the report, but I just want to be sure. If that’s the case, can you please send us one of the crashing reports? You can easily do this in Visual Studio by right-clicking the tab for the report document, clicking “Open Containing Folder”, zipping up all the files in that directory, and emailing us the zip file. Since I am not seeing any such crashes running these experiments and looking at the results, I can only help debug your problem if I can get one of your reports to reproduce the crash. The report will contain the mangled names of your CUDA kernels and any strings logged by the NVTX API (if you use that at all), but otherwise no source code or binaries or any of your project’s IP is contained in the report.

For anybody who still hits this crash, I want to update this thread to explain what happened. It turned out to be a strange bug in our UI framework (WPF) when Windows is using touch input, like from a touchscreen or Wacom pad. This problem is fixed in Nsight 5.2, which is finished and in the process of getting posted to the web right now. If you don’t want to update Nsight (for example, if you still need Fermi/sm_20 support, which is removed in Nsight 5.2), you can work around the crash by disabling your touchscreen and unplugging any external tablet/pen input device, and then restarting Windows (because whether or not you’re in touch mode is decided only when you log in based on the presence of touch devices). And again, in Nsight 5.2 touchscreens should work as expected. After fixing this, I made sure the performance analysis features of Nsight properly support high-DPI screens and precision scrolling/zooming via trackpad/touchscreen. The experience with 5.2 will be MUCH better than 5.1 if you are using a 4K laptop.