Ubuntu 14.04 + (GTX 480 * 2) + Intell Integrated Graphics

Greetings,

Before I get into other details here is the hardware I have:

• ASUS Z97-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • Geforce GTX 480 * 2 (which I hope to connect via SLI)

Also, I’m attempting to set everything up on:

• Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Over the past week or so I’ve been attempting to setup a custom built workstation with the above hardware and OS.

For whatever reason I cannot get the system to detect the NVIDIA GPUs. That is the following command returns nothing:

lspci | grep -i nvidia

I realize my setup is a bit strange as the GTX 480 cards are a bit old, but unfortunately this is what I have to work with at this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

I think the GTX 480 requires auxiliary power connections (in addition to just being plugged into the slot.):

[url]http://techreport.com/review/18682/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-and-470-graphics-processors/2[/url]

“the GTX 480 requires both a six-pin auxiliary power connector and an eight-pin one,”

Are these power connections supplied to the cards from your PSU? Each card should have 2 aux power cables connected to it, one 8-pin and one 6-pin. If you don’t have these connections, or are not supplying them with a proper 8-pin connection and a proper 6-pin connection, it may be the source of the problem.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Each card has both the 6 pin and 8 pin pci-e power connection plugged in. In the case of the 8-pin it is worth noting that I had to use a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter. That is, I originally only had 4 x 6 pin power connections, and then had to find two adapters for two of the 6 pins.

Also:

What if you try with just a single GTX 480 plugged in. Does lspci still return nothing?

Bad News:

Unfortunately lspci is still returning nothing when followed by | grep -i nvidia.

Good News:

We’ve gained some information :) When running lspci without the pipe to grep, one of the output lines is:

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)

Whereas originally there was an additional PCI bridge connection that showed up on the PCI Express x8 Controller.

That is the output before I removed a GTX 480 from the PCI-e 8x slot was (something like):

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x8 Controller (rev 06)

Any thoughts?