GTX970 unable to install or load Nvidia driver in linux

I have posted this in the past but my posts are being deleted. So I’ve created a new account as instructed, because this Nvidia driver issue has not been resolved.

GTX970; can not either install or load Nvidia driver (depending on driver version).

logs are attached

if you need ssh access please email me
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (31.5 KB)

GTX970 current issues:

with 346.72
fails to build with Error during install using .run installer

with 352.09 beta driver
installs successfully, however segfaults when loaded (see attached log file above for more info)

1. [drm] Initialized nvidia-drm 0.0.0 20150116 for 0000:01:00.0 on minor 0 NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 352.09 Tue May 12 13:54:22 PDT 2015 nvidia-settings[19438]: segfault at b8c5d984 ip b8c5d984 sp bf9c5eec error 14

Still no assistance with this???

logs have been attached as requested

I have Ubuntu with 2 GTX970 cards.

I successfully use NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-346.47-no-compat32.run with my Ubuntu 14.04. It comes in nvidia driver 346.47 tarball, which is strangely called nvidia-graphics-drivers-346-346.47.tar

This is stable, albeit not tested in games. It does work with cuda 6.5, this I’ve tested.

I’ve been waiting for a stable release to try with cuda-7.0, but I’m not finding one. We should be talking to GeForce support about this

Why aren’t you guys just installing the packaged driver for your distro? You can get the latest driver on any distro precompiled (no build issues) for your kernel. Installing it manually is never a good idea.

compiling any driver is fairly easy when your build system is setup correctly, while sometimes having to pass the correct argument to the compiler, any current driver should be backwards compatible with older kernels. These days people are moving away from bulky distro’s and going with a leaner system which often do not have pre-compiled drivers for non standard hardware.

Getting support for relatively expensive hardware appears to be more difficult than compiling the driver…

Apparently not since you still haven’t installed your driver. I always use repos since they are adapted and often come with correct patches. Arch AUR downloads the nvidia driver patches and then builds and installs maybe have a look at it to see why it works.
https://aur4.archlinux.org/packages/nvidia-full-beta-all/

Are there any official nvidia developers here providing assistance with installing their drivers??

I have provided logs as requested yet no one answers??

The last patch I’m aware of is the “acpi” kernel-3.13 patch, which is so outdated that all recent drivers (created within the last year at least) Shouldn’t require this patch.

There’s nothing difficult in extracting the nvidia.run file, patching the source and building the driver, we shouldn’t have too is my point. What’s frustrating is that every driver release has it’s own set of build and install issues and it shouldn’t be that way is all

Still no support???