"Exception during compilation" while debugging graphics, GLSL

Finally got Nsight working with Java and LWJGL (very exciting), and everything appears to work with “Shader Debugging Preference” set to “Disabled”… but any other preference results in the following while linking shaders:

(0) : fatal error C9999: *** exception during compilation ***

The issue doesn’t occur when running without Nsight. This occurs in at least 3 separate programs in my app, one being an unused experimental geometry shader-y thing, the others being my uber-lighting shaders that I can’t go without.

I’m running with a GTX 970 and a secondary, unused GTX 570. Driver is current (version 353.30), OS is Windows 8.1 Pro, Nsight is current (version 4.7), OpenGL profile is 4.3 core, forward-compatible. I can PM the shaders and app-specific logs if need be.

I specifically need the shader debugging feature, sadly, otherwise I’d just make due. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Unfortunately, Nsight don’t support shader debug on Maxwell GPU, which means your GTX970 don’t support shader debug of Nsight. You can try to use your GTX570, which should support.

Although GTX570 can support shader debug, but your log implies something happen when compile your shader for shader debug. Any chance we can have your run-able sample for some detail investigation?

On the other hand, I have to say, Nsight don’t support Java and LWJGL officially, but it’s glad to hear that might work for you.

Thanks
An

Hi An, thanks for the reply.

Interesting, not sure why Maxwell would be unsupported. Regardless, I swapped to the GTX 570 and got similar, although longer, output (see below). Honestly, I’m not willing to share code unless we can isolate it to something less proprietary, or if it’s with an Nvidia dev. A running sample would be a bit much as well, sadly.

Based on my experience with compiler bugs and two similar threads on this message, this does seem to be some Nvidia-specific compiler-side error, so hopefully an Nvidia dev will chime in. It’s probably from some unusual parses in both my weird geometry shader and my gbuffer-writing routines.

Java/LWJGL shouldn’t affect anything, LWJGL is just a direct wrapper around the OpenGL C api. There could be issues regarding the OS-specific calls that it abstracts away, but I doubt they would manifest themselves as compiler errors from the GPU.

2015-07-27 13:57:17:188 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'lighting/light.glvs; lighting/light.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Fragment info
-------------

2015-07-27 13:57:17:246 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'lighting/light_multi.glvs; lighting/light_multi.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Fragment info
-------------

2015-07-27 13:57:17:930 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'simple/mesh.glvs; gbuffer/write.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Vertex info
-----------

2015-07-27 13:57:18:371 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'block/detailed.glvs; block/block.glgs; gbuffer/write.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Geometry info
-------------

2015-07-27 13:57:18:451 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'block/tiny.glvs; block/block.glgs; gbuffer/write.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Geometry info
-------------

2015-07-27 13:57:18:534 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'block/marchingly_cubed.glvs; block/marchingly_cubed.glgs; gbuffer/write_multi_mat.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Geometry info
-------------

2015-07-27 13:57:18:556 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'block/marchingly_cubed_instanced_triangles.glvs; gbuffer/write_multi_mat.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Vertex info
-----------

2015-07-27 13:57:18:654 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'block/block_mesh.glvs; gbuffer/write_multi_mat_bump.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Vertex info
-----------

2015-07-27 13:57:18:817 [SEVERE] {gl.Program relink} Program 'block/marchingly_cubed.glvs; block/marchingly_cubed.glgs; simple/depth.glfs; ' didn't compile!  Details:
Geometry info
-------------

Hi Frizzil,

Ok, maybe you can send email to us directly: devtools-support#nvidia#com, just replace first # to at-sign, the second # to do-sign.

The log seems helpless, hence we need more to investigate.

Thanks
An

Hi An,

Email has been sent with every breaking program and a detailed log :) Let me know if there’s anything else I can do. I’ll keep this thread updated jic someone else encounters similar issues.

Also, are you a dev? It seems like devs don’t have any special flare or anything on this forum… would be helpful if they did! Sorry for any confusion.

-Philip

Hi Frizzil,

Please use the 358.38 or newer driver, it should has been fixed.

Thanks
An