CUDA GPU's Compatibility Problem with Dota 2.

I have recently been running into fps loss and lag while playing the game Dota 2. This is a problem that others with CUDA GPU’s have been running into as well. I have an i7 quad-core CPU, GTX 560 (with CUDA) 1500 MB GPU and 16 GB RAM. I know the GTX 560 isn’t the most powerful GPU anymore and its outdated, but my specs should be more than enough to run Dota 2 on maxed out settings (which I was doing about 6 months ago).

Now I get lag whenever lots of effects happen on screen at once, even on lowest settings. I have tested extensively offline and I know it has nothing to do with my internet connection or speed. Through the help of others who have run into the same problem I found, that if I disable CUDA and threaded GPU’s for Dota and run PhysX through my CPU rather than letting it Auto-select, I get noticably increased performance. This is very strange, since Dota 2 runs on Source engine and does not utilize CUDA or PhysX in any way.This leads me to believe that the problem is with CUDA; since I can’t really see any way Dota would affect CUDA at all.

Any insight or information that someone could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

A

“I found, that if I disable CUDA and threaded GPU’s for Dota and run PhysX through my CPU rather than letting it Auto-select, I get noticably increased performance.”

B

“This is very strange, since Dota 2 runs on Source engine and does not utilize CUDA or PhysX in any way.”

C

“This leads me to believe that the problem is with CUDA”

i fail to see how A + B >> C

My suggestion would be to report this on another devtalk forum focused on gaming, or else file a bug with NVIDIA using the developer portal. Since, as you say, the application does not use CUDA, the interaction you’re describing is likely occurring on some level that is not exposed to the typical CUDA programmer, and is likely something that would have to be resolved by developer resources at NVIDIA.

Ok, thank you for the advice txbob. I will do that.