Intel HD Graphics stops working after putting Quadro K2000 in TCC mode

Hi all,

I’d like to put my Quadro K2000 GPU in TCC mode for GPU acceleration of MATLAB (via the Parallel Computing Toolbox).
For this purpose, I would like to appropriate the onboard Intel HD Graphics adapter for display operations.
I run Windows 7 64-bit.

I followed the following procedure:

1. I attached my dual-monitor setup to the onboard card. Everything worked so far.

2. I put the card in TCC mode using nvidia-smi:

nvidia-smi -i {GPU_UUID} -dm 1
  1. The operation succeeded and I restarted my computer.

Immediately after restart, the screen went dark.

I reconnected one of my screens to the Quadro card and rebooted again.

Oddly enough, the display worked, even though according to the NVIDIA control panel there were no cards attached.

nvidia-smi showed that my card was in TCC mode. However, any attempt to use it caused garbage to appear on the screen (compute mode overwriting the shared display memory buffer?)

I’d greatly appreciate ideas on how to solves this issue.

Thanks,

Shahar

Hi Shahar,

I’m facing exactly the same problem as yours. I have a Quadro K2000D and an Intel HD 4000 on my computer. After changing the driver mode of the Nvidia card to TCC, I got a black screen. So apparently the Intel card wouldn’t take charge of displaying automatically. Have you solved your problem? If so it would be great that you can share your solution with us.

Thanks in advance!

Rui

This behavior might be related to the motherboard/BIOS behavior. Some motherboards detect the presence of a VGA device plugged into one the PCIE expansion slots, and if they detect that, they disable the on-board graphics. Such a motherboard might not be compatible with this type of TCC configuration unless the default behavior can be modified in the system BIOS.