Other Linux distro options.

Just curious, has anyone tried any other solutions over than Ubuntu, for a TK1? I’m a fan of Suse, and have been wondering if this could work for the Jetson TK1. Thanks in advance!

Linux for Tegra is a bunch of binaries and a couple of configuration scripts on top of Ubuntu 14.04. As long as the c-library is new enough and the X.Org video ABI matches, one should be able to run any distro.

See e.g. [url]http://elinux.org/Jetson/Porting_openSUSE[/url]

Jetson TK1 comes with Unity desktop on Ubuntu Linux, but there are many other options. We’ve posted new tutorials for installing Fedora, openSUSE and Arch Linux distributions (plus a minimal XFCE desktop) on Jetson TK1.

See the full list of Jetson TK1 distributions at [url]Jetson TK1 - eLinux.org

Has anyone had success compiling CUDA and OpenCV on distributions other than ubuntu? We’re about to try this with RHEL 7.1 ARM on our TX1’s, and haven’t seen any reference to GPU support for the other distributions mentioned.

So I’m going to be setting this up with openSUSE, wish there was a single ISO i could download and just install, seems its a bit more complicated though. Is there a single package that can be downloaded and flashed?

Also, I noticed once I booted the TK1 for the first time and ran the nvidia-installer, it has the ubuntu desktop, but when i click Install Release, it doesnt wanna install to the 16G MMC, any ideas on that one? Is it only the 4G chip that gets the OS and the 16 gig becomes storage?

Thanks in advance.

If you want the most minimal of installs, then you want to download this for a TK1 (login may be required):
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/L4T/r21_Release_v4.0/Tegra124_Linux_R21.4.0_armhf.tbz2

Note that this is only the flash program for a TK1, along with the “apply_binaries.sh” for hardware access binaries. You could adapt this to different root file systems.

The sample rootfs is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which is here:
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/L4T/r21_Release_v4.0/Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R21.4.0_armhf.tbz2

You’ll find that the JetPack installer bundles many other packages, such as CUDA for both the host and the Jetson. Each of those packages in the JetPack bundle can be downloaded and installed separately.

Got the drivers, got the TK1 flashed, got openSuSE 13.1 installed and running , just working on a good GUI for it now, seems xfce with lightdm is what is suggested, i would prefer KDE4, so far so good, once i have them all running, its time to cluster. Im hearing that NV has a good grid engine right now, wondering how that compares to opengrid or other linux clustering software such as beowolf. Any comments for the clustering?

PS, it have 4 TK1’s . Just trying to decide on the best way to cluster.

just did the install for lightdm and xfce, sadly, all i get is a stupid blackscreen with a still cursor in the upper left corner, going to have to reflash the board and maybe try a different GUI

A bit of information which may or may not be useful to your efforts. Historically, the hardware accelerated access files given by nVidia are written to the disk last. At one point an OpenGL library file was updated in the non-nVidia repositories, and ended up overwriting one of the nVidia library files…the nVidia version of this file disappeared. The system depended on the original nVidia version and not the repository version. Video stopped working. Reinstalling this one file would fix the problem, e.g., over the network via scp.

If you installed a new desktop or graphics files during your test of alternate installations, then the same file overwrite may be the issue. The fix would merely be manually unpacking the files from the apply_binaries.sh script again…no flash would be required if this is the issue.

A typical text mode means of verifying those files:

sudo sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

The L4T flash directory has a subdirectory “nv_tegra”. The files in question which may have been overwritten when adding your desktop/GUI are contained in the “nvidia_drivers.tbz2” file. The apply_binaries.sh script simply unpacks this file (among other things) to the “/” of the Jetson’s filesystem. If this file is in place at “/” before you add your desktop, then remote ssh or serial console can untar this file (as root/sudo) and put the nVidia variant of files back in place even when the GUI is failing.

openSUSE runs just fine if you dont want a GUI, cant seem to get the stupid GUI working, its beyond frustrating! does anyone know how to set it up that could give me a tbz file ready to be flashed? im willing to pay at this point!