When will Visual Studio 2015 be supported?

Hi,

the Windows Installation Guide of the Toolit 7.5 states that currently only VS 2010-2013 are supported. I need to use VS 2015 and would prefer to not have multiple VS installations…

Do you have any plans to support VS 2015 and if yes, do you have a time frame for that?

Thanks,
Fritz

I second that. Please release VS2015 support, Nvidia!

Historical precedent shows that NVIDIA is not in the habit of publicly sharing these kind of projections. However, you could speculate (somewhat intelligently) as follows:

With CUDA 7.5, Visual Studio 2015 is not supported, but support for Visual Studio 2010 has become deprecated. It therefore stands to reason that the next release of CUDA (which may or may not be called CUDA 8.0) will remove support for Visual Studio 2010 while adding support for Visual Studio 2015. If you further observe that CUDA currently appears to be on a release cycle of roughly half a year, and that the final version of CUDA 7.5 shipped this September, that would speculatively put the final version of the next release of CUDA in about March/April of 2016.

Thanks for the guestimate, this sounds reasonable…

As I checked the NVIDIA website, it seems Visual Studio 2015 can be now supported by installing NSight Visual Studio Edition 5.0 RC1.

See the following pages

I am reproducing some text verbatim from the installation page:

<b>NVIDIA® Nsight™ Visual Studio Edition 5.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available. </b>
This release adds support for Visual Studio 2015 and debugging applications that use 
the new Direct3D 12 API. CUDA Toolkit 7.5 is available for download under CUDA Toolkit.
Please note that this release requires a NVIDIA Display Driver version 355.82 
or newer.

<b>Download instructions</b>
Simply follow the steps below to download and install the Nsight™ Visual Studio 
Edition 5.0 RC1.

<ul>
<li>Step 1: Download and install required NVIDIA display driver for your target development environment.
Step 2: For developers who develop CUDA, download and install the latest version of CUDA Toolkit 7.5, available for download under CUDA Toolkit.
Step 3: Download and install NVIDIA® Nsight™ Visual Studio Edition 5.0 RC1.</li>
</ul>

All resources can be found under the NVIDIA GameWorks Download Center.

I exactly followed the above installation procedure but when I try to create a new CUDA 7.5 project in Visual Studio 2015 Enterprise Edition, I still can’t find any CUDA 7.5 bindings installed. If I try to import existing Visual Studio 2013 CUDA projects, I get project loading errors. My laptop has an NVIDIA QUADRO NVS5200M integrated GPU. As I checked the supported GPU hardware from the above listed requirements page it does list my GPU.

Any ideas as to why I still can’t get CUDA 7.5 integration working in Visual Studio 2015 ?

Ok, as I checked , in the Add/Remove programs, the “NVIDIA CUDA Visual Studio Integration 7.5” is installed by CUDA 7.5 toolkit installation setup and not by Nsight Visual Studio Edition 5.0 RC1. And therefore it is certain that CUDA 7.5 doesnt work in Visual Studio 2015.

Which makes me wonder what is the use of Nsight 5.0 providing support for Visual Studio 2015 if I simply cannot create/run/debug CUDA 7.5 project in it ?

Ok, as I checked , in the Add/Remove programs, the “NVIDIA CUDA Visual Studio Integration 7.5” is installed by CUDA 7.5 toolkit installation setup and not by Nsight Visual Studio Edition 5.0 RC1. And therefore it is certain that CUDA 7.5 doesnt work in Visual Studio 2015.

Which makes me wonder what is the use of Nsight 5.0 providing support for Visual Studio 2015 if I simply cannot create/run/debug CUDA 7.5 project in it ?

I’ve tried to compile xxx.cu with CUDA 7.5’s nvcc on VS2015 commandline…

> nvcc xxx.cu
nvcc fatal   : nvcc cannot find a supported version of Microsoft Visual Studio.
Only the versions 2010, 2012, and 2013 are supported

for now, it seems build in fail even if succesfully imported project into VS2015.
workaround :
make PTX by nvcc -ptx xxx.cu under VS2010/12/13 commandline, then xxx.ptx will be produced.
so, use driver API to call PTX in VS2015 project(with copied PTX above).

refer to my blog: http://blog.zaq.ne.jp/fareastprogramming/article/71/(sorry, Japanese)

VS 2015 IDE integration appears functional, however the VS2015 C++ Platform toolset (v140) is NOT supported. There’s a lot of manual effort necessary to work around unclear and ambiguous error messages during the upgrade process. I really hope this is not an actual Release Candidate, because it’s far more like a BETA. I really hope the VS 2015 C++ (v140) toolset is going to be supported moving forward, because I wouldn’t consider VS 2015 “supported” if the VS 2015 platform toolset is not. Also, the upgrade process shouldn’t be this much manual effort, and if it is, it should at least be well documented.

To upgrade:

• Open your project in VS 2013.
  • Right-Click the project, Build Dependencies > Build Customizations > Uncheck “CUDA 7.0”
  • Open your project in VS 2015.
  • Right-Click the project, Build Dependencies > Build Customizations > Find Existing
  • Navigate to “C:\Program Files\NVIDIA GPU Computing Toolkit\CUDA\v7.5\extras\visual_studio_integration\MSBuildExtensions” and select CUDA 7.5.
  • Visual Studio will prompt you to update the build customization search path. Select YES.
  • Check “CUDA 7.5 (.targets, .props)” and press OK
  • If VS 2015 prompted you to upgrade your VC++ project, you’ll need to manually downgrade it. Go to Project | Properties | General | Platform Toolset and select “Visual Studio 2013 (v120)”

Please let me know if the VS 2015 platform toolset is going to be supported. I’m currently using a mixed-mode library to allow me to call CUDA kernels from managed C# code, and I need v140 support to upgrade to .NET 4.6 CLR integration (C++/CLI).

Also, please streamline the upgrade process or add detailed instructions to the documentation.

Thanks.

VS2015 is not officially supported by any current CUDA toolkit through CUDA 7.5. It will likely be supported in some future CUDA toolkit.

I’m not sure what you are referring to with this statement:

“I really hope this is not an actual Release Candidate.”

There are no CUDA toolkit release candidates published by NVIDIA that offer or suggest support for VS2015 at this time. Supported environments for CUDA toolkits can be identified using the getting started guide/installation guide published with that CUDA toolkit. The current version for windows/CUDA 7.5 is here:

[url]Installation Guide Windows :: CUDA Toolkit Documentation

Release notes for the R361 driver branch indicate support for CUDA 8.0. This was also noted in the forum. I would take this to mean that release of CUDA 8.0 (or at least the release candidate) will be coming very soon. I’d be surprised if VS2015 support is not provided by this release, especially given the deprecation of VS2010 as pointed out by njuffa.

I am also very interested in the upcoming toolkit support for MSVC2015; it’s awful being torn apart in dependency hell (i.e. MSVC toolchain C++11 support vs Cuda support). 8.0 cannot come soon enough.

HI. I already installed CUDA 7.5 in Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2015 Community just like #nurabha says.
I’ve tried some samples and it does work, but some reserved words are not highlighted such as “double”, “class” or other reserved words for user-defined data types. This is unconfortable and not practical because Intellisense is a very useful tool to help you detect syntax errors while you are writting your code.
I’m waiting the full VS 2015 with Windows 10 support to switch it as soon as it is released.

I am really disappointed by the fact that NVidia are still not providing full support for Visual Studio 2015 despite the fact that Microsoft released this version more than six months ago. Microsoft is making considerable efforts to bring full C++ standards compliance to VS 2015 with one significant compiler update already and another one which has just been released as a technology preview. THese are valuable new features of the latest Microsoft compiler - why is NVidia being so tragically slow in adopting this compiler as a base for its own tools on Windows?

You could also ask, with equal justification, why Microsoft didn’t “bring full C++ standards compliance” to VS 2013, in which case you wouldn’t have to wait for NVIDIA to add VS 2015 support to CUDA. You could further ask why is Microsoft “so tragically slow in adopting” modern language standards.

And what, exactly, would be the point of doing so HERE?

No idea. What did you hope to accomplish with your previous post in this thread?

I hoped to achieve the following:

To point out to Nvidia that I am disappointed by the very slow pace at which they are updating their tools to fully support Visual Studio 2015, adding further detail to explain why Nvidia support for Visual Studio 2015 is important for those seeking support for recent additions to the C++ standards.

Maybe you are not a native english speaker but I would have hoped that even someone whose native language is not english would have understood this.

I should add that I agree that Microsoft support for C++ standards in the past has been poor but I do not believe that this is relevant here.

I get that. My question is, what is the point of expressing that disappointment here? How is it related to programmers discussing issues with “CUDA setup and installation”? That MSVC 2015 is not supported by currently shipping versions of CUDA can easily be seen from the Windows version of the “Getting Started” document that spells out which host compilers are supported.

Read the title of the thread.