OptiX 3.8.0 and actual (october 2015) driver 358.50

Hello,

actual graphic card driver 358.50 includes CUDA 7.5 .
Actual OptiX version 3.8 does not work with CUDA 7.5 but works with version 7.0 or lower.
Is it enough, to copy, for example, cudart64_65.dll in current directory?
I recognize, it does not work.
How to make actual graphic card driver version compatible with actual
OptiX-application version (for end user especially) ?

That only means your development environment for OptiX 3.8.0 should use a CUDA Toolkit 7.0 at maximum, otherwise OptiX wouldn’t be able to parse your compiled PTX code.

That R358 display driver contains a newer CUDA driver which supports programs created with the CUDA Toolkit 7.5 in addition, but it also handles programs written with CUDA Toolkit 7.0 and earlier (down to some minimum version).

Means you can program OptiX programs with CUDA Toolkit 7.0 and they’ll run on that newer driver. Even better, if your applications are run on a Maxwell GPU that R358 driver should show improved PTX compile times for the end user.

The other way round doesn’t work though. There is a minimum display driver version required to run OptiX programs which depends on the CUDA version with which an OptiX version was originally built.

You can find the necessary information inside the OptiX Release Notes which are a mandatory read before setting up a development environment for any OptiX version.

Thank you for answer.
Now, i use OptiX 3.8.0 and the actual graphic driver 358.50 at all graphic cards.

The scene uses textures: BMP- and PNG-files. In actual directory - cudart64_65.dll.

All works properly at cards GT 630, GT 660, GT 730, Quadro 600 at different computers.
But it does not work at GTX 745, at GTX 840M.
I get the message:
“Unknown error (Details: Function “_rtContextLaunch2D” caught exception: Encountered a CUDA error: driver().cuGraphicsMapResources(static_cast(m_interopResourceVector.size()), &m_InteropResourceVector[0], stream) returned (716) Unknown, [3735753]”

If no textures in the scene - no problem, it works.
How to manage this situation?