352.63 regression: Mode switching issue (Ubuntu 14.04)

On a fresh 352.63 installation on Ubuntu 14.04, everything default (no xorg.conf), switching to 1920x1080p @ 50 Hz results in a heavily distorted image; the graphics card outputs a 50 Hz mode but the AVR/TV is still set to the previous mode. Reverting to 346.96 solves the issue. I suspect there is some issue with how the video mode is reported/negotiated with the AVR/TV, and might be affected by the particular AVR/TV.

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR616, FW version 1171-7110-0500 (2015-09-24)
TV: Sony KDL-40EX503, FW version PKG4.131EUL-0108 (2015-01-12)

Steps to reproduce
Revert X to default settings and run

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="DFP-1: 1920x1080_50"

(change DFP-1 to your particular configuration)

Expected result
TV switches to 50 Hz and displays normally.

Actual result
A heavily distorted image, “nvidia-settings -q RefreshRate3” says refresh rate is 50,000 Hz, but AVR input info shows 60 Hz.

Unfortunately i don’t have a bug report script output for this particular issue, but general system info can be found in my nvidia-bug-report output posted in my thread regarding another issue with the same driver. I’ve downgraded to 346.96 and got everything working now so I don’t want to mess it up. But, from looking at the log at the time of the incident it didn’t show any abnormal warnings or errors. It’s quite possible the fault lies with the AVR and/or TV, but it’s clearly somehow related to some changes made between 346.96 and 352.63.

So I’ve just tried upgrading to R415 and ran into exactly the same issue. Nice to know that you take attention to bug reports!

Please fix this, it’s really annoying for me as an HTPC user.

Nothing? Really?

Does it work using xrandr instead of nvidia-settings?
Please set

Option "ModeDebug" "true"

in the device setion of your xorg.conf and run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/