How to disable nouveau driver to install NVIDIA drivers. Distribution kali linux 2.0

i have exhausted all attempts and the installation fails

I want the right way to define the graphics card

Note: I use Kali Linux system platform Default

I’m trying to install proprietary nvidia graphics driver I downloaded from nvidia website. It will not install because it says that the ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding.

I went to the file ‘/etc/modprobe.d’ and. create leafpad file name:‘blacklist-nouveau.conf’

and open:~# nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf

and add:
+++++++++++++++++++++++
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
options nouveau.modeset=0.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
and Ctrl+x save

Also installation did not succeed. this install is causing me great inconvenience. please i need help

What exactly do I need to do to disable the “Nouveau kernel driver”?

Note: I use Kali Linux system platform Default

info: nvidia-installer log file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
nvidia-installer log file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’
creation time: Fri Jan 1 20:49:52 2016
installer version: 352.63

PATH: /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
→ Detected 4 CPUs online; setting concurrency level to 4.
→ License accepted.
→ Installing NVIDIA driver version 352.63.
ERROR: The Nouveau kernel driver is currently in use by your system. This driver is incompatible with the NVIDIA driver, and must be disabled before proceeding. Please consult the NVIDIA driver README and your Linux distribution’s documentation for details on how to correctly disable the Nouveau kernel driver.
→ For some distributions, Nouveau can be disabled by adding a file in the modprobe configuration directory. Would you like nvidia-installer to attempt to create this modprobe file for you? (Answer: Yes)
→ One or more modprobe configuration files to disable Nouveau have been written. For some distributions, this may be sufficient to disable Nouveau; other distributions may require modification of the initial ramdisk. Please reboot your system and attempt NVIDIA driver installation again. Note if you later wish to reenable Nouveau, you will need to delete these files: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Why not just remove it from your kernel if blacklisting fails?

The issue may be that “other distributions may require modification of the initial ramdisk”.
On my machine (kernel 4.2.8) I use the following kernel command line arg:
rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau

This is appended to the end of the kernel image loader: linux /vmlinuz…
I am using grub, this is in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

lspci -nn | grep VGA
vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
mv /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img.bak
dracut -v /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r).img $(uname -r)
init 3

X -configure
  reboot

Ok that said, let’s see how to install NVIDIA’s latest graphics driver:

1 – Download the driver from NVIDIA: R290.10 64-bit. Driver’s filename looks like to
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run. I saved the file at the root of my home directory.

2 – To install the driver, the X-server must be stopped. All operations must be executed from the command line (virtual console). Fortunately, only few operations are required. To open the first virtual console, type [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[F1]. There are six virtual consoles and any console from F1 to F6 is ok. Once the console it opened, enter your login. Now you can stop the X-server with:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

This command is better:

sudo stop gdm

The following command can also help:

sudo killall Xorg

3 – Now you can install the driver:

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-290.10.run

How to Update the NVIDIA Graphics Drivers under Linux

For whom is still struggling with nouveau. This might help:
sudo apt-get --purge remove xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

2 Likes