358.16, 361.18 system crash when switching from text to graphical console (tty1 -> tty7)

When using nvidia-drivers from 358 and 361 series, switch from xorg to text console and back results in a semi crashed system.

Xorg crashes with process stuck at 100% of one core/thread while doing nothing (strace shows no activity).

SSH to system is still possible but there’s no way of restarting/killing X or even removing nvidia/nvidia_modeset kernel module.

The only way to get back to X is with hard reset.

Everything works as expected with driver version 355.11 and earlier.

Some additional info available at Gentoo’s Bugzilla – Bug 564096

No Problem here, can not reproduce that issue.

towo:Defiant> inxi -xSGI
System:    Host: Defiant Kernel: 4.4.0-towo.2-siduction-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.3.1)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.6 (Gtk 3.18.6) Distro: siduction 13.2.0 December - xfce - (201312310323)
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.0 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 361.18 Direct Rendering: Yes
Info:      Processes: 184 Uptime: 1:22 Memory: 2000.1/15982.3MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.3.1
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.32

Yep I can confirm that with uvesafb, your system will crash if you change between VTT and X. And it was introduced with 358.XX drivers(sadly I’m too lazy to make any bug reports). I think that nvidia_modeset is incompatible with uvesafb and v86d module. Removing them and switching VTT to X works fine(no High res VTT though).

Thanks for your reply tuke81.

I’ve removed initramfs with v86d and uvesafb module. Everything works as expected now.

If someone from nvidia could take a look at this and check if it’s a nvidia_modeset or uvesafb/v86d issue, that would be great.

we are tracking this issue under 200170582 . Is the issue repro with other distros also ? Please provide nvidia bug report.

The Nvidia driver does not like v86d in general. I was using it briefly to get graphical boot back (since the Nvidia driver disables it by default) and it was periodically causing the system to try to load the (otherwise unused) onboard Intel driver on resume from suspend (which looked like a hang because the display wasn’t coming up, until I checked the logs), so I removed it.

I installed v86d and uvesafb using these instructions on Ubuntu: High-resolution text console with uvesafb and Debian | Samat Says

Now my system crashes when I switch from tty1 → tty7. Otherwise I can draw to the framebuffer on the console.

Shutting down lightdm, going to console, doing stuff then restarting lightdm seemed to work.

Switching to tty1 while Xorg running, and I can’t restart lightdm even if I close it first.

Now you probably have bit more to work on and you’d get this solved. I propose you do because the large resolution terminal is a nice sight.

I’m doing tinkering with a risc-v simulator and going to play with a framebuffer device in assembly. This issue is a little nuisance but I’ll manage for now.

The nvidia driver is 384.130