Jetson TX1 Power Requirements and Power Management

Hi,

I am working on integrating a Jetson TX1 plus carrier board with a mobile robot platform. Available to me are a 19V/2A DC supply and a 12V/5A DC supply. I’m having trouble finding exact information on the TX1’s power draw, but I’ve noticed that the TX1’s AC power adapter supplies 19V, and is rated up to 90W.

Now obviously 90W will overload both power supplies I have available, but does the TX1 actually draw 90W? Or if it does only in specific circumstances, are there power management settings on the TX1 that I can access which will allow me to limit it to a safe amperage?

Is it possible to safely power a Jetson TX1 with these available supplies, or will I have to downgrade to a TK1, which I know from Jetson/Jetson TK1 Power - eLinux.org runs off of 12V and does not draw more than 60W at it’s upper limit.

This has been a popular topic in another thread. The gist is that rated power can include the maximum power draw of:

1. PCIe slot.
  2. SATA slot.
  3. USB ports.
  4. Camera.

…so the JTX1 itself will draw considerably less than 90W. I don’t know exact numbers, but you might try measuring power draw while running at max performance settings and a GPU CUDA demo. For max performance see:
[url]http://elinux.org/Jetson/Performance[/url]

When using the TX1 devkit out of the box (without connecting additional peripherals), in practice you’ll see a power draw of 15W at the high end (running a resource-hungry compute benchmark like nbody). And on typical mixed workloads, between 6-10W is a typical number and at idle, 1-2W. In the lab normally I run the devkit through a KillAWatt or DC bench supply w/ ammeter. If you are adding additional peripherals to the system like linuxdev mentioned, recommend profiling the power before/after plugging them in to gauge the impact.

I see, thanks. I thought it would probably be under my 48W limit but I guess if I’m serious about not risking anything then I should probably ensure that there is a working current limiter anyways.

For the record I plan to be using a stereo camera off of the USB and the SATA slot as peripherals.

I am someone in Nvidia can help clarify a some questions on the Jetson TX1.

Per the Jetson TX1 module datasheets, Nvidia specifies the following operating requirements:

TX1:
Temp Range: -25C - 80C
Module Power: 6.5W - 15W

1. For the TX1 module power numbers, can Nvidia clarify what scenarios (i.e. numbers of camera sensors interfaced to TX1, camera resolution & frame rate, video compression standard, number of video streams, processor loading, memory storage, other active interfaces such as SATA ports, USB ports, ambient temperature, etc.) were used to capture these data power points?

2. Further, has Nvidia done a breakdown of their power numbers with more fidelity to include what the power estimates will be for various video compression (i.e H.264, H.265, VP9, VP8) for 1 camera sensor, incrementing by one up to 6 camera sensors?

Thanks for your help!

Power range is only for module, it could be used by customer to evaluate the whole product power. No need to know the detail test methods of it.

Hello Trumany,

Can you clarify how Nvidia came up with the power numbers listed in the TX1 module datasheet then?

Thanks!

These power numbers are tested in some preset conditions, you can refer to the web links in this topic: [url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1009283/tdp-in-max-n-mode/[/url]

Hi, I am also trying to figure out the power that would be required for the board. I am mounting this on a robot and haven’t yet chosen a battery. I have a ZED camera that requires 5V/380mA connected to this at the USB3.0 port, a multisense S7 camera powered separately that is connected to this via the Gigabit ethernet port and VLP-16 lidar that also needs to be connected to a 100Mbps ethernet connection. Please help me out with the connections and power that would be required for this. Thanks

Hi rajravi,

Please refer to OEM DG for each part connections design. The total power is decided by your external devices plus module. As you can find see in previous discuss, the power of module is 6.5W~15W.