Black Screen on Ubuntu 14.04

I’m kindly asking for your help: I’ve been using Ubuntu on my Asus laptop for more than a year, which has an i3 4005u processor, and a Geforce 840M video card. I had to reinstall it, and since my video card is not recognized (by the very same system which is strange), in Additional Drivers it says Nvidia corporation - unknown. If I install any driver other than Nouveau, after booting the login screen is black (the laptop monitor is off), but I can hear the welcome screen sound. If I say “sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*” in tty and reboot, it’s working fine. Since the previous system was the exact same, with the same updated state, I don’t know what went wrong. With Windows 10, the video card is working fine.

EDIT: I have tried the .sh installer as well, but with the same result in the end. I don’t know what logs to look at, because I’m more of a linux user than expert, please also help with that.

Thank you in advance!

I’m having exactly the same problem with Geforce GT 735m. Hope someone can help.

Please attach nvidia bug report. What desktop env you are running ? please share video recording of issue.

“If I install any driver other than Nouveau, after booting the login screen is black (the laptop monitor is off), but I can hear the welcome screen sound”

I’ve got the same when I switched “driver” to “intel” from “modesetting” in xorg.conf.
As far as I know, there are different xorg configurations generated by gpu-manager in Ubuntu (with intel and with modesetting)
I was lucky and my xorg.conf contains modesetting by default.

You can find a solution here: Solving the Ubuntu 14.04 – NVIDIA 346 – nvidia-prime black screen issue - vxlabs

I might be wrong but perhaps you have to blacklist the nouveau driver after installing the NVidia driver?

I had the same problem. Black screen and could hear the welcome sound upon login. I could go to tty by ctrl alt f1 eg. Login blindly and I could issue sudo reboot to restart. No screen display but system was running.

The following are steps to solving my problem on MSI GS60 6QE. There was intel skylake CPU issue which I solve by installing kernel 4.4. Anyway, back to Nvidia black screen issue.

I solve it by first going into recovery mode and apt-get purging xorg, xserver-xorg, nvidia*, and lightdm. This to remove all configurations.

Then I install cuda 7.5 (CUDA Toolkit 11.7 Update 1 Downloads | NVIDIA Developer) which includes nvidia-352.93 driver and the installation also put back whatever necessary like xserver-xorg. I used the network version of the cuda repo. See instructions on the cuda site. If you used network version then do enable network access in recovery mode first before going to root.

Next I install back lightdm.

Once done, reboot to normal mode.

I hope it works for you.