DP1.2 connected monitor cannot be turned on again with DPMS
I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as stated by ret_ in the initial post and I'm using exactly the same workaround (CTRL-ALT-F1 then CTRL-ALT-F7) to wake the monitor up. I did upgrade my graphics card today from a MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G (GM206, 2GB) to the new TITAN X (Pascal) in the hope that it would make the problem go away. The reason I thought it would make a difference is that I did not see this problem on the GTX 960 as long as I was using a 1080p monitor via DVI. It only started the moment I switched to the Eizo FlexScan EV3237W which is running at 3840x2160, connecting via DP 1.2. So my assumption was that the GTX 960 is "too weak" for that monitor and maybe has not enough VRAM. Sadly, the Titan X exhibits the same behavior and I have to do the CTRL-ALT-F* dance to get it to wake up again. After that, the Gnome unlock screen looks all strange (black lines all over the place) but allows me to log in. My desktop background image is mostly black now and only shows some artifacts of what is supposed to be shown. I've attached a screenshot. I'm using: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04, 64bit Nvidia Driver Version: 367.44 Motherboard: Asus X99-E WS, BIOS 3201 RAM: 32GB CPU: Core i7 5960X Connection to monitor: DFP-2 @ret_: Which motherboard do you have? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as stated by ret_ in the initial post and I'm using exactly the same workaround (CTRL-ALT-F1 then CTRL-ALT-F7) to wake the monitor up.

I did upgrade my graphics card today from a MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G (GM206, 2GB) to the new TITAN X (Pascal) in the hope that it would make the problem go away. The reason I thought it would make a difference is that I did not see this problem on the GTX 960 as long as I was using a 1080p monitor via DVI. It only started the moment I switched to the Eizo FlexScan EV3237W which is running at 3840x2160, connecting via DP 1.2. So my assumption was that the GTX 960 is "too weak" for that monitor and maybe has not enough VRAM.

Sadly, the Titan X exhibits the same behavior and I have to do the CTRL-ALT-F* dance to get it to wake up again. After that, the Gnome unlock screen looks all strange (black lines all over the place) but allows me to log in. My desktop background image is mostly black now and only shows some artifacts of what is supposed to be shown. I've attached a screenshot.

I'm using:
Ubuntu Gnome 16.04, 64bit
Nvidia Driver Version: 367.44
Motherboard: Asus X99-E WS, BIOS 3201
RAM: 32GB
CPU: Core i7 5960X
Connection to monitor: DFP-2

@ret_: Which motherboard do you have? I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Posted 09/03/2016 01:51 PM   
Hi mss5, Can I get nvidia bug report of your system as soon as issue reproduce ? How long it will take to repro the issue. Is screen saver, screen lock, display sleep, system sleep/suspend enabled on your system? Do you have other DP.1.2 display where you hit this issue? Is the issue repro with below commands : xset dpms force off xset dpms force on
Hi mss5, Can I get nvidia bug report of your system as soon as issue reproduce ? How long it will take to repro the issue. Is screen saver, screen lock, display sleep, system sleep/suspend enabled on your system? Do you have other DP.1.2 display where you hit this issue?

Is the issue repro with below commands :
xset dpms force off
xset dpms force on

Thanks,
Sandip.

Posted 09/04/2016 04:36 AM   
Hi sandipt, I've attached the envidia bug report after running into the issue. Using the first repro command, the monitor turns off immediatly and `xset -q` confirms that the monitor is off. After running the second command, `xset -q` tells me that the "Monitor is On" but it clearly is not, it is still sleeping. I am not using a screen saver, the monitor is being sent to sleep directly. I do not have another DP1.2 display I could verify this behavoir with. I did read on some forum that this might be related to EDID detection so I tried this option: Option "CustomEDID" "GPU-0.DFP-2:/home/mschmitt/.eizo-edid.txt" but it did not make a difference. I also found users who claimed that turning off DDC/DI on their monitor fixed the problem. I can't find a way to turn this off on my Eizo monitor, though. Thanks.
Hi sandipt,

I've attached the envidia bug report after running into the issue. Using the first repro command, the monitor turns off immediatly and `xset -q` confirms that the monitor is off. After running the second command, `xset -q` tells me that the "Monitor is On" but it clearly is not, it is still sleeping.
I am not using a screen saver, the monitor is being sent to sleep directly. I do not have another DP1.2 display I could verify this behavoir with.

I did read on some forum that this might be related to EDID detection so I tried this option:
Option "CustomEDID" "GPU-0.DFP-2:/home/mschmitt/.eizo-edid.txt"
but it did not make a difference.

I also found users who claimed that turning off DDC/DI on their monitor fixed the problem. I can't find a way to turn this off on my Eizo monitor, though.

Thanks.

Posted 09/04/2016 07:45 PM   
Hi mss5, Please blacklist Nouveau driver and check issue still occurs. You can add Nouveau Driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. OR create file like /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf with below entries blacklist nouveau options nouveau modeset=0 And add kernel parameter : vga=0 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0 Reboot
Hi mss5, Please blacklist Nouveau driver and check issue still occurs.

You can add Nouveau Driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file. OR create file like /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf with below entries

blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0

And add kernel parameter : vga=0 rdblacklist=nouveau nouveau.modeset=0
Reboot

Thanks,
Sandip.

Posted 09/06/2016 08:18 AM   
I am having what seems to be the same problem. HP ZBook 15 G3 Laptop Ubuntu 16.04.1 64Bit NVIDIA Quadro M600M NVIDIA Driver 320.23 Noveau driver has been blacklisted and inactive. 3 Monitor setup: 1 Laptop Primary Display 2 Dell 23" Monitors attached to HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock via Display Ports When I lock my machine all screens shutdown. When I log back in only the primary Laptop display turns on. Although running xrandr --verbose indicates that both DP-6.1 and DP-6.2 are connected, they remain black and off. The same Ctrl+Alt+F1 then Ctrl+Alt+F7 trick wakes the externals back up.
I am having what seems to be the same problem.

HP ZBook 15 G3 Laptop
Ubuntu 16.04.1 64Bit
NVIDIA Quadro M600M
NVIDIA Driver 320.23
Noveau driver has been blacklisted and inactive.

3 Monitor setup:

1 Laptop Primary Display
2 Dell 23" Monitors attached to HP Thunderbolt 3 Dock via Display Ports

When I lock my machine all screens shutdown. When I log back in only the primary Laptop display turns on.
Although running xrandr --verbose indicates that both DP-6.1 and DP-6.2 are connected, they remain black and off. The same Ctrl+Alt+F1 then Ctrl+Alt+F7 trick wakes the externals back up.

Posted 09/09/2016 11:55 AM   
sandipt, the nouveau driver does not get loaded so I had little hope that adding it to the blacklist would make a difference. I did add it to the blacklist and it made no difference.
sandipt, the nouveau driver does not get loaded so I had little hope that adding it to the blacklist would make a difference. I did add it to the blacklist and it made no difference.

Posted 09/09/2016 06:11 PM   
We have no luck to reproduce this issue. Is this repro with 370.28 ?
We have no luck to reproduce this issue. Is this repro with 370.28 ?

Thanks,
Sandip.

Posted 09/21/2016 05:41 PM   
I am using 370.28 and still have the issue.
I am using 370.28 and still have the issue.

Posted 09/22/2016 05:24 AM   
EugeneDuvenage, Can you please share nvidia bug report ?
EugeneDuvenage, Can you please share nvidia bug report ?

Thanks,
Sandip.

Posted 09/22/2016 05:52 AM   
Hi Sandip, I have generated the bug report but there is no means for me to attach it in the "Add Reply" box. Do I need to upload it to an external site and link to it, or can I email it to you??
Hi Sandip, I have generated the bug report but there is no means for me to attach it in the "Add Reply" box. Do I need to upload it to an external site and link to it, or can I email it to you??

Posted 09/22/2016 06:06 AM   
I think you can attach it to your existing post.
I think you can attach it to your existing post.

Thanks,
Sandip.

Posted 09/22/2016 06:11 AM   
Thanks I have attached the bug report, its a rather unintuitive attachment process, I hope it will help you investigate the issue. Additionally, I have upgraded my kernel hoping for better hardware support as well as ensuring my bios and firmware versions are the latest of for my hardware configuration,a ll without any improvement.
Thanks I have attached the bug report, its a rather unintuitive attachment process, I hope it will help you investigate the issue. Additionally, I have upgraded my kernel hoping for better hardware support as well as ensuring my bios and firmware versions are the latest of for my hardware configuration,a ll without any improvement.

Posted 09/22/2016 06:27 AM   
Currently on 16.04 with gnome 3.18 on 367.48. This issue has been pestering me since the 340 series I have two 4k Samsung dsiplay port monitors U28D590 on a Quadro K5200. Gnome screensaver shuts them off but a click or a keystroke attempts to turn them back on. Effects vary from 33% both turn back on but they are swaped, 33% only one turns on, or 33% both won't turn back on. I had this issue on ubuntu 14.04 as well. I recall the 352 series had a fix for this, and only RARELY this behavior occured ( maybe once a month) but that got broken again. I am aware that Windows had this exact problem with these type of monitors in the same NVIDIA driver/ display port connection but the forums say it got fixed with the new driver. Maybe this is relevant?: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777412/geforce-drivers/black-screen-on-windows-login-344-16-and-11-on-displayport-with-gtx980-sc-fix-info-posted-11-25-/ So as of now, I prevent the screensaver to turn them off and they just stay on, burning needlessly until nvidia ( or samsung? ) will push a fix
Currently on 16.04 with gnome 3.18 on 367.48. This issue has been pestering me since the 340 series
I have two 4k Samsung dsiplay port monitors U28D590 on a Quadro K5200. Gnome screensaver shuts them off but a click or a keystroke attempts to turn them back on. Effects vary from 33% both turn back on but they are swaped, 33% only one turns on, or 33% both won't turn back on.
I had this issue on ubuntu 14.04 as well. I recall the 352 series had a fix for this, and only RARELY this behavior occured ( maybe once a month) but that got broken again.

I am aware that Windows had this exact problem with these type of monitors in the same NVIDIA driver/ display port connection but the forums say it got fixed with the new driver.
Maybe this is relevant?:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/777412/geforce-drivers/black-screen-on-windows-login-344-16-and-11-on-displayport-with-gtx980-sc-fix-info-posted-11-25-/

So as of now, I prevent the screensaver to turn them off and they just stay on, burning needlessly until nvidia ( or samsung? ) will push a fix

Posted 09/28/2016 09:47 PM   
[quote=""]The ASUS PB278Q also has this issue if you have the ability to test with this monitor.[/quote] i have that monitor. no issues for me in 370.28 with bios machine (don't have uefi). of course, with DP
said:The ASUS PB278Q also has this issue if you have the ability to test with this monitor.

i have that monitor. no issues for me in 370.28 with bios machine (don't have uefi). of course, with DP

Posted 09/29/2016 04:09 PM   
Hi all, Can you please test with 375.10 driver ?
Hi all, Can you please test with 375.10 driver ?

Thanks,
Sandip.

Posted 10/25/2016 10:33 AM   
Scroll To Top

Add Reply