Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

It looks like there is official support in the latest ubuntu, not only for Jetson, but also for it’s cousins like CB5-311 (nyan-big) - did anyone try it out?

http://ports.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-ports/dists/xenial/main/installer-armhf/current/images/generic/netboot/tegra/

I just received my TX1 today, I was very disappointed to find out that it apparently doesn’t support 32-bit user programs yet (I was planning on using it to develop some things with Julia with 64-bit ARM, as well as learn to program with CUDA. I already have a Raspberry Pi 3, that I’m using for 32-bit ARM development, since that also only has a 32-bit OS, even though it’s a 64-bit CPU).
Do you know if the 16.04 support will be full 64-bit?

This is actually the 32-bit JTK1 forum…JTK1 supports only 32-bit. JTX1 is currently 64-bit kernel space, 32-bit user space. The 64-bit JTX1 release is probably coming up soon (and should be able to run 32-bit ARMv8 code). You might want to move questions on 32-bit for JTX1 to the other forum, but 32-bit should not be an issue. Keep in mind that ARMv8 32-bit will not necessarily be completely compatible with ARMv7.

I flashed the boot.img-tegra-serial.gz with Win32 Disk Imager to a SDCARD. The TK1 is booting and i can see config dialogs on the serial console. But the network card isnt detected. In u-boot i can ping my root, so the network shoud be ok.
Any hints how to enable the network or to install ubuntu 16.04 via an USB stick?

There is information out there for install of L4T to SD card (or better yet, install normal to eMMC and simply have an alternate boot entry which points to SD card from the eMMC-based config)…L4T is currently just Ubuntu 14.04LTS plus hardware accelerated access files specific to nVidia hardware. I’ve heard of people having success at various non-Ubuntu 14.04 o/s install, but lacking the nVidia-specific hardware access (or at least hardware accelerated access of those files). The information for installing L4T sample rootfs to SD card would be the same as Ubuntu 16, being sure to maintain the step of using the “apply_binaries.sh” script to place the nVidia-specific files on the SD card. Basically you’re replacing sample rootfs via an Ubuntu 16 rootfs, but keeping files specific to hardware on this platform.

Do not expect the nVidia-specific files to work with Ubuntu 16.04. The nouveau video driver would be used instead, removing CUDA/GPU access. This is an example of the Xorg X11 server requiring a specific ABI version and all drivers needing to follow that ABI. The ABI differs between Ubuntu 14.04 and newer releases of Ubuntu. Things which are not ABI sensitive will possibly work. It is possible that you’d have to apply_binaries.sh to unpack things, and then manually force reinstall of nouveau to get video working.

Network might be a case of ordinary Ubuntu config issues, I have not experimented with Ubuntu 16 (although there would be specific setup and kernel features for networking, I don’t think there are any ABI issues for networking). It might also be a case of a kernel feature change which is incompatible with the Ubuntu 14.04 setup. Be sure to check what the kernel config was set to versus from an L4T kernel config for networking and network device drivers. You might try manually running “sudo dhclient” while monitoring your router to see if it finds a hit…debugging networking tends to require simultaneous debug of both the device and the router.

FYI, I’ve not heard of anyone using USB stick for a rootfs, I do not know if it is possible…part of the answer is whether u-boot was configured to make this possible. USB hard disk is possible, USB memory stick might not be possible. In any case, the USB memory would have to be formatted as ext4 using GPT partitioning (I’ve used older BIOS partitioning and it seemed to work, but it isn’t guaranteed). Preformatted USB sticks arrive with incompatible VFAT file systems which don’t work for a root partition.