Missing HUD on OpenGL app after updating to 2015 from 2010

Hi all,

We’ve been using NSight on VS 2010 with no issues. However we’ve recently updated to 2015 and now we don’t get a HUD overlay. CTRL-Z locks the mouse input so we think NSight is working, just with no HUD.

We’re tried changing the end of frame test in the graphics options and turned on force present / swap buffer option with no luck.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Hi StuMid,

That’s weird, anything else you changed except VS2010->VS2015? You just install VS2015 on the same machine with VS2010?

Can you try to click on your VS2015 menu->Nsight->Pause and Capture, this works the same as the ctrl-z and space.

Thanks
An

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

The Pause and Capture option is greyed out in the menu. I’ve tried CTRL-Z which locks out the mouse from the app and brings it back again when pressed again. If I press CTRL-Z - Space, the mouse is permanently locked out and CTRL-Z won’t bring it back, but I don’t get a capture.

The project we have was under 2010 for most of its development for reasons I won’t go into. When those reasons no longer mattered we moved to 2015. We’ve always had 2015 installed alongside 2010 as we use it for other projects. At the same time as upgrading to 2015 we had a code drop which we integrated into the code. This drop didn’t include any rendering code, so we believe it wasn’t the cause of the problem. However, it’s worth noting that our project is built on the SDL framework and we did update from SDL 1.2.6 to SDL2 2.0.3 at this time. We have not previously tried NSight with 2015 so don’t know if it ever worked with our project.

We’ve tried re-installing NSight (we were a version behind) and changed every option we can think of.

Thanks,
Stu

Hi StuMid,

That’s weird. SDL upgrade from 1.x to 2.x should not be a issue, since I have tried Nsight on another SDL 2.x sample which works great with Nsight.

By the way, I assume you are using SDL with OpenGL, right? what do you use as frame delimiter? SwapBuffer()? glFinish()?

Thanks
An

Hi,

We have it working again! One of the graphics engineers spotted that for some reason we were creating two renderers in GL and only using one. The SDL update and the code drop must have messed up our initialization code and caused this problem. I can only imagine Nsight was connecting to the one we weren’t using.

Thanks for the help,
Stu

Hi StuMid,

That really depends on how you create and handle your multi GL context. Actually, Nsight support multi GL context.

Could you show us some sample that reproduce your issue and we can do some more deep investigation?

Thanks
An