Ubuntu; How to use Nvidia drivers?

Hello to you, fellow oppressed beings

If one uses Ubuntu 14.04, 64bit on 3.13.0-88-generic kernel
has GTX 660
and whole system is crypted, How should latest Nvidia drivers be taken to use?

First time downloaded .run and did that ctrl+alt+F1. Killed some processes, wiped out some drivers, prepared .run file and executed it.
This seemingly broke my whole system setup.

After some hours managed, hopefully, to restore system into previous state.
After bit of time had even some graphics on screen but with old drivers.
Used Ubuntus own tools to “update” into 352.63

So, can someone point me to a guide that does not demand previous knowledge to follow steps?
Better yet, if that guide would actually explain why and what is done and HOW user should do it

To motivate you guys, here’s me after went through shover of useless google searches

http://cdn.warpedspeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/wet-cat-002.png

was left there for three dayz
HALP

For your troubles, You were rewarded with BONUS CONTENT!
To unlock this surprice of many kudos and magical rainbows, theres challenge concerning 32bit Wine and How-To-Dos… tip of the day: “err:d3d:wined3d…” comes up now, any takers?

P.s. would like to do as suggested in
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/522835/linux/if-you-have-a-problem-please-read-this-first/
but at the point where “PATH” is mentioned, I’m lost, no previous knowledge :/

Funny addition;
Went through common search engines and six forum search engines with
“how to configure wine”
Thats some hundred pages but didn’t find useful info what should I do to wine now, after updating drivers, to get it working…

Install recent Nvidia drivers from this PPA (instead of downloading the driver from Nvidia’s website). It does all the configuring for you.
Though be aware that there’s still the possibility that something goes wrong and leaves you with an unbootable system. Try at your own risk.

The general procedure is like this (though you should find more precise instructions on the web):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-367 nvidia-settings
# now reboot

@pcworld

I’m more than happy about the shortest description I have ever read. The very first installation of the one and only nvidia driver installation that worked out of the box with my notebook Lenovo Think Pad W520 with the Nvidia Quadro 2000M - Chipset GF106GLM - where I have Lubuntu LTS 16.04 installed.

It took me hours of search and testing around. I’m very glad that you posted this solution just 17 hours ago!

Thank you so much!

Mario

Bochum - Germany