The power button does not turn on the carrier board -- why?

I have a TX1 dev board. Under conditions that I have not been able to reliably replicate, it sometimes takes several presses of the power pushbutton to turn on the machine. Once in a while I have to actually remove the power plug from the board and plug it back in before the power button will work at all.

Initially I assumed this was some kind of firmware problem that would be fixed in later releases, but I just loaded R24 a few days ago, and it has gotten worse. The biggest problem is that sometimes a reboot will power off the board and then it won’t turn on unless I unplug it and plug it back in, which as you can imagine is a bit of a problem for embedded products!

Help?

anyone? anyone?

do you have the tx1 plugged into a wall receptacle or some type of backup/filter unit?

wall receptacle. I don’t see why this should make any difference.

I’ve suffered from the same problem. It usually happens when I shutdown my Jeston TX1 and try to restart it right after.

On 1 particular occasion, I failed to boot my JTX1 by repeating power button press for more than maybe 10 times. Every time I pressed the power button, the green LED would turn on but only last for 2 seconds, then the JTX1 board would go completely off. I let the JTX1 “rest” for a few hours, then it could be turned on again.

In most cases for me though, 2nd press of the power button could turn on JTX1.

Hi Jijikos, jkjung,

Seems you are using the adapter of JTX1 dev kit, right?
Can you pls try changing the capacitor C36 of carrier board to 0.1uF to see if it can be solved?

Hi,

We had a similar issue with the board not powering up.
We removed the usb keyboard, the wifi aerials, and the usb hub, which had keyboard & mouse, and then connected via ethernet, to confirm we could ping. Success. Plugged the keyboard back in, and rebooted, and then we got it to boot, and got a terminal interface displaying on the connected monitor.

A README is then displayed telling you about running the installer to get the Ubunutu GUI up.

One thing to note is that after powering on it sometimes takes as much as 10 seconds before you see visual output on your monitor.

Hth,

Ian.

Oh btw after a power down we also added the wifi aerials back, and it connected to the wifi fine as well.

i had a UPS that would loose power to the “battery backup” receptacles that required unplugging my printer and the plugging back in. i was told that it was due to keeping it on which the printer would not require the amount of current continuously so the UPS would cycle that individual receptacle off because the ups firmware did not sense anything plugged in. what i had thought was a printer fault was actually a ups fault. i was going to suggest to you to try a wall receptacle or the ups receptacle that does not have backup if you used ups. my ups was trying to control the receptacles when it should have just been concerned with supplying power.

I don’t see C36 labeled on the board, and Eagle can’t read the schematics provided (obviously). Besides, I don’t have an SMD rework station or spare SMD parts, and besides,I don’t trust myself using a soldering iron on a $600 board.

Also: what if I wanted the board to run on as soon as I plugged in power? This is meant for an embedded system, you can’t expect the user to have to press buttons to turn the thing on!

There is a related section in PDG, chapter 3.8, basically need to add external circuit to implement the function of power on when plug in.

Ah, thank you, I had missed that chapter.

I still don’t understand why I’m having trouble with the power button (and apparently others have had that problem too). I also have that problem when I connect it to a bench power supply, voltage set to 19.2V, capable of up to 3A, so more than enough to power the carrier board. It takes several presses to get it started also, and it does not appear to be trying to draw any current when I press it, until it finally turns on, at which point it draws between 100mA-400mA (load varies very rapidly)

We found such issue happens on some Jetson boards occasionally. The current work around is to press the power button twice. The formal fix is to change C36 to 0.1uF.

Where is C36?

I have to press the button several times, not just twice. Sometimes I have to unplug the power supply and plug it back in before it will turn on.

Attach the picture for C36 location
External Media

We do not have the ability to replace such tiny smd components, and I assume doing so would void the warranty.

How do I get the board replaced under warranty?

It is easy for a hardware engineer to use hot air gun or soldering iron to replace it.

I have no access to such a person. I need the board replaced under warranty, since you just admitted that some boards have that problem. Please let me know how to initiate the RMA process.

Here is the process:

RMA Procedure:
Go to [url]https://www.nvidia.com/nvcc[/url]
Select “Live Chat” from the options near the top of the page.
Enter your personal information.
Select the appropriate product from the drop-down list (“Tegra” in this case).
Submit the request.
If the Service agent is unable to resolve the technical issue, an RMA (Return Material Authorization) will be initiated.