API usage unsupported glGetIntegerv, glGetString, glClear

Hi,

I am encountering weird behavior with latest 5.0 and 5.1 RC versions of nSight Visual studio edition, together with VS2015 Community Update 3. Windows 10 x64 machine with GTX 660ti. Driver version 368.39.

I am trying to enter frame debugging with very basic OpenGL application, but its blocked by message of unsupported api usage:

Unsupported function(s) were in use: glGetIntegerv, glGetString, glClear
Unable to capture frame due to API usage unsupported by Nsight.

This behavior is reproducible with every Nvidia OpenGL sample I tried (from [url]https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/GraphicsSamples[/url])
Even the “Basic” tutorial sample will fail.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Nsight without any effect. I have hard time believing that glClear call would be unsupported.

I’m having the same issue.

As an example, glGetIntegerv is perfectly supported on GL4.5 according to the version support table on this page (glGet - OpenGL 4 Reference Pages), but NSight does not support it?

glClear is also there and supported on GL 4.5 (glClear - OpenGL 4 Reference Pages), as is glViewport which is also apparently unsupported.

Any OpenGL program is going to have a hard time without being able to clear the colour and depth buffers, no? Is it possible this is a bug?

I have:
Windows 10 x64
VS2015 Community 14.0.24720 Update 1
NSight 5.0.0.15294
GTX970 and Driver Version 368.39

I am seeing the same problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

It was working fine for several months until a few days ago the same errors started appearing. I know it is not related to the code base as a colleague is not experiencing the same problem on his machine. I have tried updating drivers and reinstalling NSight, neither made any difference.

GTX 970, driver 368.81
Windows 10 64bit

“Unsupported function(s) were in use: glBlendFunc, glClear, glClearColor, glDisable, glEnable, glGetError, glGetIntegerv, glIsEnabled, glScissor, glTexImage2D, glTexParameteri, glViewport, glDepthFunc, glDisable, glEnable, glFinish, glFrontFace, glGetError, glScissor, glViewport”

Hi guys,

I also tried to install VS2015 update 3 and sync https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/GraphicsSamples, use Tutorials/Basic samples, that works fine with Nsight, never saw the unsupported functions.

Could you guys try these:

• remove the folder here: %AppData%\NVIDIA Corporation\Nsight, retry
  • make sure your machine doesn’t have some background software that might inject/hook your app.
  • @exjam, what happens in ‘a few days ago’, update your OS? install some addition software? anything else?

I might need more information about your guys OS’s detail information, what’s the actual version of your Win10?

Thanks
An

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have Windows 10 Pro 1151 build 10586.494
I don’t have anything running that would hook into the program.
I also tried to delete the AppData folder too and this has not worked.

I was trying to debug my own project, but for the sake of clarity and easy reproduction, I’ve grabbed and built from https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/GraphicsSamples

It fails when I try to enter frame debugging on the Basic project as it does for @karalaine.

• FrameDebugger: Unsupported function(s) were in use: glGetIntegerv, glGetString, glClear

Sorry, removed double post.

Hi AYan, thanks for your answer.

I tried cleaning Nsight app data folder, no luck with that one.

Windows 10 build is:
OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
OS Version: 10.0.10586 N/A Build 10586

Also I checked that there isn’t any extra third party dll:s injected, all are coming from windows folder.

Here are all loaded dll:s for you to check.
[url]http://pastebin.com/raw/TXKxXeJg[/url]

Please let me know if I can acquire any logs or other assistance.

(Edit. I tried frame capturing with DX11 app and it works perfectly. So something wrong with the OpenGL side only)

Hi karalaine,

I do a quick gloom for the dlls you pasted, it looks OK. I take a try on the same machine as yours: Win10 10586, VS2015 Update 3, 5.1 RC, 368.39, Yes, I can repro your issue now.

I am thinking that might be due to you are using some newer driver and 5.1 RC is bundled with 361.91. On the other hand, I also take a try on some internal latest version of Nsight, that works fine with latest driver.

Thanks
An

I’ll try rolling back to 361.91 as soon as I can and report back.

Are there any other options? Is there likely to be a release of that newer internal version any time soon?

Reverting the driver is possible but I also use this as a gaming machine and would like to be on the latest driver if possible.

Happy to report that using the 361.91 driver allows nSight to function as expected.

Thanks for the information, although either a new driver or a new version of nSight is required, we can’t and shouldn’t have to run an old driver to have this working.

Hi Ayan.

I encountered this issue too.

I think the reason is that wglGetProcAddress() on 368.81(maybe after 368) returns valid function potinter for old OpenGL function like glEnable, and nsight doesn’t seem to support these functions.
But nsight still supports old OpenGL function from GetProcAddress() with opengl32.dll.
So if your app uses old OpenGL functions from GetProcAddress()+opengl32.dll instead of wglGetProcAddress(), unsupported function is not resported.

Do you have any plans to make nsight support these functions from wglGetProcAddress()?

Hi,

@finlaybob, Yes, we are working on the release for sure.

@sizwk, I think the GetProcAddress() with opengl32.dll just get the very old OGL functions from MSFT, that’s not recommended way to use OGL. I am not sure about your meaning, Nsight do support OGL core functions which comes from wglGetProcAddress() [actually, Nsight do support some old OGL functions, but that’s limited], the key here is you need use corresponding driver.

Thanks
An

Hi AYan.

Let me explain in a little more detail.
At first, I got OpenGL function pointers like GetAnyGLFuncAddress() in the following page.
https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Load_OpenGL_Functions

On driver 365.19, wglGetProcAddress(“glEnable”) returned 0.
So the valid pointer was got from GetProcAddress()+opengl32.dll.

On driver 368.22, wglGetProcAddress(“glEnable”) returned a valid pointer(not any of 0, 1, 2, 3, -1).
So the calling glEnable() became jump to this pointer.
In this situation, Nsight reported “glEnable is unsupported function”

Then I rewrite GetAnyGLFuncAddress() as follows.

void* GetAnyGLFuncAddress(const char* name, const HMODULE ogl32_module){
    void* p(GetProcAddress(ogl32_module, name));
    if(nullptr == p){
        p = wglGetProcAddress(name);
    }
    return p;
}

After do this, Nsight didn’t report unsupported function to calling glEnable().

Is it intended behavior to wglGetProcAddress()+“core function name” returns a valid pointer after 368.22(include 368.22)?