Drivers 364.19 and 367.35: Xorg frequently freezes with 4k monitor connected to DisplayPort

Hello,

I am experiencing frequent freezing of Xorg (mouse and keyboard not responding) using linux drivers 364.19 and 367.35 with a 3840x2160 display connected to the DP-1 port. Previously I had a lower resolution display connected to HDMI-1, and did not experience the issue. After switching to the new monitor, the system freezes several times per day, making it next to unusable.

I can log in remotely, and see that Xorg is at 100% cpu. Attaching gdb to the Xorg process, I saw that it was running inside nvidia_drv.so.

My system is a Thinkpad W550s with a Quadro K620M graphics card, running Ubuntu 16.04 with the driver installed from the graphics-drivers PPA. I first experienced the issue with driver version 364, after which I upgraded to 367, but this did not solve the issue. The system may freeze apparently randomly while I am loading a web page, resizing a window, etc, not very GPU intensive tasks.

I don’t know how to “attach” the bug report here, so I will provide a link to it instead: [url]http://home.simula.no/~henger/nvidia-bug-report.log.gz[/url]

Any idea on how to solve or work around this?

I and a few others see problems with 367.35 in archlinux, going back to 367.27 seem to solve these problems.
I am also using DP-1 although with a resolution of 1920x1200.

I don’t have any problems if I use a lower resolution, the lock up only happens at 3840x2160. Since I had exactly the same problem with 364.19 and 367.35, I consider it unlikely that it was solved in an intermediate version, but perhaps I’ll try it if I find the time. Thanks!

I have the same problem. Using a GTX 1060 and connected to 4 monitors two running 4K on DP and two at 1280x1024. It seems either randomly or when the 4K monitors go to sleep I experience the lock up problem. No response however the 2 lower resolution monitors are still displaying the background.

I’m running 367.35 ill Try downgrade and hopefully it recognizes the 1060 as I just got it last Tue.

uname -a
Linux plethra 4.4.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.4.6-1kali1 (2016-03-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
lspci
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1c03 (rev a1)

Any help or fix would really be appreciated!

My problem was actually my DRAM failing, 367.35 works fine for me now with new DRAM.

I am using a T550 with Geforce 940M

I can confirm the reported issue, using Ubuntu 16.04

When connecting my 4K display via displayport (and using Geforce as primary graphics), mouse suddenly becomes choppy over the 4K montitor and eventually the complete laptop blocks!

Currently using graphics driver for linux version 367.35

When configuring to use the Intel graphics, it works fine…

I have now been using driver version 370.28 for a week or so, and I have not experienced any lock-ups during that time using the 4k mode. Keeping my fingers crossed…