Workarounds for Jetpack 2.2.1 on Ubuntu 16.04

Are there any workarounds or methods of installing Jetpack 2.2.1 via Ubuntu 16.04?

Jetpack 2.2.1 fails right out of the gate, detecting 16.04 and refusing to run. An approach that is said to have worked with 15.04, by changing /usr/bin/lsb_release (detailed at the link below) fails on dependency resolution with Cuda Toolkit 7.0

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/941913/jetson-tx1/jetpack-2-2-and-l4t-r24-1-for-jetson-tx1-released/

I am not exactly eager to try to roll back my PC to 14.04. Is there any way to get this to work, or at least work enough to get the device flashed, using the Ubuntu 16.04?

Hi SoundByte,

16.04 host is in our long term roadmap, release schedule and details are being ironed out.

Cheers

Just FYI, although various packages and JetPack are designed for a specific generation of “.deb” packages, the flash.sh program (from the driver package) runs great on all kinds of 64-bit desktop Linux distributions. If you just want to flash, and can do without JetPack, there is no issue with flashing a Jetson from an Ubuntu 16 distribution (I use Fedora 23).

And I believe the new JetPack 2.3 is not that release? I.e., it still requires 14.04 host?

Definitely the R24.2 L4T which goes onto the Jetson is Ubuntu 16.04 (until R24.2 it was 14.04). I was thinking this newest JetPack should also run from Ubuntu 16.04, but I can’t verify since I use Fedora on the host.

I flash with JetPack 2.3 from a native Ubuntu 16.04 x86_64 host machine, and it works OK (as expected).

The only thing I noticed, was in the host install section of JetPack, you might need to disable ‘OpenCV4Tegra for Host’ (not on the Jetson).
JetPack seemed to encounter an issue installing this package on the 16.04 host.

You mean L4T R24.3, right?

I don’t think R24.2 exists yet, at least not publicly. R24.2 is the newest available L4T at this time for JTX1.

I’m sorry, I didn’t know L4T R24.2 installed Ubuntu 16.04 on the TX1.

R24.2 is the first release using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on the JTX1. Prior to that it was Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Jetpack 3.0 is out, no mention of any modern OS support.
Ubuntu 17.04 is out, so Jetpack is now three major releases behind the world.

How long term is long term, exactly?

Jetpack 3.0 is out, no mention of any modern OS support.
Ubuntu 17.04 is out, so Jetpack is now three major releases behind the world.

How long term is long term, exactly?

Anyone?

The Ubuntu placed on a Jetson from JetPack 3 is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. The “LTS” means long term support…I don’t know exactly how long that is, but I imagine there will be updates for that for at least 3 years, maybe more. The point of any LTS is that it isn’t necessary to update every year just to get bug fixes and security fixes. One reason I use Fedora as my host instead of CentOS (which is LTS) is that I want (and often need) new things which take too much time to trickle down to CentOS. I have no idea what “new” software might take too long to trickle down to Ubuntu 16.04, but I am curious if this is part of the reason for wanting Ubuntu 17? Keep in mind that although the NVIDIA supported packages don’t track bleeding edge that those packages related to GPU are constantly being worked on.