Login loop at Ubuntu desktop

I recently bought, unboxed and setup the Jetson TK1. The setup is as follows:
Connected USB Keyboard on USB port.
Connceted HDMI port to a VGA Monitor using an HDMI-VGA adapter.
Connected the power cable and hit the start button.

The device booted up and I was presented with a command line. I entered ‘ubuntu’ as username and ‘ubuntu’ again as password.

Then I did:

sudo ./NVIDIA-INSTALLER/installer.sh

The script ran to completion and then it asked me to reboot. I did:

sudo reboot

After the device reboot, the device automatically boots up and I am presented with the Ubuntu GUI (Unity / LightDM?), where I am presented with a GUI login screen.

So far, everything seemed to be fine.

The problem is, once I enter my password and hit enter, the screen flashes, it shows an NVIDIA logo for a second, then it shows me the login screen again. This process repeats each time that I put in my password. The same problem persists if I reboot the device. I can escape to another TTY using Alt + Ctrl + F1 (F1 to F6). The command line works fine, I am even able to SSH to the device over an ethernet connection. But I need the desktop since that way I can start doing some simple (java based) gui development.

It has been 2 days but I can’t figure out what is going wrong so it would be nice if someone can suggest a solution. All help is greatly appreciated.

The 15-pin VGA connections do not support DDC/EDID, which is the wire which supports the video system doing a query to the monitor about its valid modes and capabilities (a 15-pin adapter cuts this wire). For a standard VGA monitor to succeed, either the defaults of the video output have to match what the monitor can do (you have to be lucky), or the X11 configuration must be manually set up after reading the technical specs of the monitor and creating the xorg.conf by hand edit. “Back in the bad old days” this is what a driver disk would have set up when you purchased a new monitor…or perhaps the monitor was common and a database was available to simply name the monitor in (which would in turn do the manual configuration).

Apparently you were “lucky” with the mode for the logins, but “unlucky” with the actual settings while logged in.

Thank you linuxdev.
I will be getting a monitor with HDMI port tomorrow, and let you know how it goes.

Btw, I connected it to my HDMI TV, but it gave me the same problem.
How can I be sure it is a monitor/HDMI problem and not something else?

Even with EDID automatically providing information about a monitor there will still be modes which are not supported (sometimes because of bugs, sometimes because the hardware simply does not support those modes). In the case of mode setting failing from bugs, it is often because the monitor or TV does not correctly format its EDID response…in which case there is an email address to send the EDID information to and the software maintainer tends to get the quirk fixed very quickly.

You would probably want to start debugging by using a serial console or ssh connection and checking the “/var/log/Xorg.0.log”. The protocol for reading EDID is i2c, you may also see messages from dmesg when inserting or removing the HDMI cable. Last, you can install the EDID software for manually reading and parsing EDID (packages “read-edid” and “edid-decode”). Manually testing:

sudo get-edid | parse-edid
sudo get-edid | edid-decode

Hi, I would like to give some updates:

I have changed my monitor to one that supports HDMI natively. I have also tried using several HDMI TVs, and the same problem persists. (I also used a couple of different HDMI cables).

I don’t think that it is a monitor issue but rather a configuration issue.
If you want I can post Xorg.0.log or any other logs that can be useful for debugging.

Can you suggest which logs to look at (lightdm, unity, xorg)

Thank you very much.

Hi, I would like to give some updates:

I have changed my monitor to one that supports HDMI natively. I have also tried using several HDMI TVs, and the same problem persists. (I also used a couple of different HDMI cables).

I don’t think that it is a monitor issue but rather a configuration issue.
If you want I can post Xorg.0.log or any other logs that can be useful for debugging.

UPDATE:

I have solved the problem.
As I thought it was not a monitor/hdmi/hardware problem.
It was because the ~/.Xauthority file was owned by root (I don’t know how that happened)

When I did:

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ ls -al ~ | grep .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 root   root   106 Aug 28 01:41 .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu   0 Aug 29  2016 .Xauthority-c
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu   0 Aug 29  2016 .Xauthority-l
ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$

I noticed that .Xauthority is owned by root, so:

ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ sudo chown ubuntu:ubuntu .Xauthority
ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ ls -al ~ | grep .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 106 Aug 28 01:41 .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu   0 Aug 29  2016 .Xauthority-c
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu   0 Aug 29  2016 .Xauthority-l

So, now i go back to the Ubuntu login (Ctrl + Alt + F7)
Enter the password and . . . voilà.
I have a working desktop manager with all the icons, etc.

Thanks linuxdev for your time and help.
I hope my post helps other people facing similar problem.

Yes, one of the complications with the sudo mechanism using ubuntu with a login locked root account is that sometimes root will touch files in the ubuntu user’s home directory. Glad it worked out!

Hi, new to this forum because of that issue ;)

I’m having the exact same issue (blocked at the login after install), my problem is that I’m trying to access the virtual terminal via CTRL+ALT+F1 (tried F1 to F6 actually) - I assumed is what you did.

But then black screen and no virtual console to type such instructions.

CTRL+ALT+F7 put me back on the login screen.

After searching on the web this behaviour can be solved by:

sudo sed -i -e 's/#GRUB_TERMINAL/GRUB_TERMINAL/g' /etc/default/grub
sudo update-grub

but then again I cannot access any terminal.
Any tips?

best

Alex

On Jetson, there is no BIOS and no GRUB. Don’t waste your time with this.

The quickest soultion would be to try another monitor supporting the console video mode.

If cannot get one, you can try to make an iamge of your APP partition on host (search for ‘TK1 cloning’), then you may be able to mount this image on host as loopback device, change the files or permissions, unmount it and reflash the fixed APP partition on your Jetson.
Be sure you have enough free disk space on host (>16GB), and to have a correct image before flashing (the old APP partition on TK1 will be completely rewritten).