Boot From SD Card: Jetson TK1 got in to hang after trying to boot

Hi, is there a good way to boot from SD card on JTK1? I find the measly 12G on eMMC insufficient. I tried the steps (Installation (u-boot way[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/923800/jetson-tx1/boot-from-sd-card/[/url])) here Basically, I downloaded zImage, jetson-tk1-grinch-21.3.4-{modules,firmware}.tar.bz2, put them into /boot/zImage, /lib/modules, and /lib, and then replaced the /boot/dtb/tegra124-pm375.dtb file. I also added an entry in /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf and set the root to /dev/mmcblk1p1.

After boot, the TK1 hang and spit out some stack trace on screen. Has anyone ran into this before? Is there any straight forward way to boot from SD (like simply copying the kernel image into SD card and editing a bootloader menu).

Summary of Stack Trace:
CPU2: stopping
CPU: 2 PID: 0 Comm: swapper/2 Not tainted 3.10.40-grinch-21.3.4 #1

WARNING: at kernel/watchdog.c:269 watchdoc_timer_fn+0x288/0x2c4()
Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 0
Modules linked in:
CPU: 3 PID 1 Comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.10.40-grinch-21.3.4 #1

tegra_idel_enter_clock_gating

Please try with “sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tk1 mmcblk1p1” by referring to http://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/L4T/r21_Release_v5.0/l4t_quick_start_guide.txt?autho=1473139575_2e106c898e8494fceabe6d662be594a8&file=l4t_quick_start_guide.txt.

FYI, the default flash gives the 12GB. There is extra unused space on the end of the eMMC. Flash could use parameter “-S 14580MiB” (14.2GiB) and give you about 2GB more within the root partition, e.g.:

sudo ./flash.sh -S 14580MiB jetson-tk1 mmcblk0p1

If you just want root partition on SD, then do this by edit of “/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf” (preferably an extra entry so you can use the original as a rescue system). Putting a file system on SD’s first partition (sda1) is not difficult (I say sda1 because u-boot may not see other partitions past the first partition).

As for the Grinch kernel not working, which release of L4T was used? That kernel looks like the one which works on R21.3 (and probably all R21.x). If you have an older install of L4T (meaning no flash to update), then you might be mixing it with an R19.x install. There isn’t enough information to help more.