JetPack 2.3 for Jetson TX1 released with L4T R24.2, Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit, CUDA 8, and TensorRT

External Media
NVIDIA is pleased to announce that JetPack 2.3 for Jetson TX1 has been released.

Updates and additions to JetPack include:

• Linux4Tegra (L4T) R24.2 BSP
  • Ubuntu 16.04 LTS aarch64
  • Multimedia SDK and camera/codec APIs
  • CUDA Toolkit 8.0
  • cuDNN 5.1
  • TensorRT with 2x inference performance
  • VisionWorks 1.5
  • See the Parallel For All article for a discussion of the enhancements included in JetPack 2.3 and new TensorRT and the Jetson Multimedia SDK.
    For examples of using TensorRT to deploy optimized neural networks onboard TX1, visit this GitHub repo.

Download JetPack 2.3 — https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack
    L4T Components/Docs — https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra
    See the Release Notes — https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/l4t-release-notes-24-2
    Follow the User Guide — http://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/l4t-24-2-jetson-tx1-user-guide

If you download the “sources” (which has the kernel sources and more), the file shows as “sources.tbz2”. This is actually “sources.tar”, so bunzip2 shouldn’t be used if you plan to open this (note that files within sources are bzip2, just not the outer sources wrapper).

OK thanks linuxdev, we’ve updated the file on the server to reflect the extension of .tbz2.

I just tried the 2.3 Jetpack installer to update my TX1 via an Ubuntu 14.04 host. Eventually, I get the following error message in a pop up dialog:

Installing TensorRT(GIE 1.0 RC) 1.0RC failed.

Return Code: 29

The console says:

2016/09/14 10:40:25 remote call error:Set value for Gie_Target_Bin_64_tx1 not supported

If trying to keep going, I get similar error messages for the Multimedia API and cuDNN packages.

More of the install log here: http://pastebin.com/UravvgfB

lars,

Can you please check if you are running JetPack 2.3 installer in a clean directory?
    Also can you check the md5sum value of <JetPack_Dir>/_installer/nv_info_broker?
    The correct md5sum value should be 97d2bb62d194f2a4336a3440453d8b23

hello, i was reading the nvidia tegra linux driver package developer guide and here is a quote,

Installing Additional Packages

Installing Additional NVIDIA Packages
    Installing Additional Ubuntu Packages
    L4T comes with additional NVIDIA packages, including packages for Ubuntu and Google Chrome.

i could not find any google chrome or chromium packages. do any of them exist for the tx1?

I haven’t looked at particular packages, but a default install of L4T R24.2 does have “chromium-browser”. I think at least part of that must be available within the purely Linux part of the install since I used only sample rootfs and no JetPack.

To run Chromium:

$ /usr/bin/chromium-browser

ok, Kangalw, thanks for the chromium info. dash was not picking that up in a search on chromium within applications. next bit of issue i have run up to is when using synaptic package manager for any package install i get this error which i have never seen before.,

W: Target Packages (main/binary-arm64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-arm64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Packages (universe/binary-arm64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-arm64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:11
    W: Target Packages (universe/binary-arm64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
    W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
    W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
    W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
    W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-arm64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:4 and /etc/apt/sources.list:21
    W: Target Packages (universe/binary-arm64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
    W: Target Packages (universe/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
    W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
    W: Target Translations (universe/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
    W: Target DEP-11 (universe/dep11/Components-arm64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19
    W: Target DEP-11-icons (universe/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:6 and /etc/apt/sources.list:19

i have not altered sources.list and when i look at it , it is ,

See UpgradeNotes - Community Help Wiki for how to upgrade to

newer versions of the distribution.

deb Index of /ubuntu xenial-updates main universe multiverse

deb Index of /ubuntu xenial main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial main restricted universe multiverse

Major bug fix updates produced after the final release of the

distribution.

deb Index of /ubuntu xenial-updates restricted
    deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-updates main restricted universe multiverse

Uncomment the following two lines to add software from the ‘universe’

repository.

N.B. software from this repository is ENTIRELY UNSUPPORTED by the Ubuntu

team. Also, please note that software in universe WILL NOT receive any

review or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

deb-src Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial universe

deb-src Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial-updates universe

N.B. software from this repository may not have been tested as

extensively as that contained in the main release, although it includes

newer versions of some applications which may provide useful features.

Also, please note that software in backports WILL NOT receive any review

or updates from the Ubuntu security team.

deb Index of /ubuntu xenial-backports main restricted universe multiverse

deb-src Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial-backports main restricted

deb Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
    deb-src Index of /ubuntu xenial-security main restricted universe multiverse
    deb Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial-security universe

deb-src Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial-security universe

deb-src Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial-security multiverse

deb Index of /ubuntu-ports xenial main universe restricted multiverse

so i’m puzzled what is the cause of the error. any help on this would be appreciated.

I was running the installer in an empty dir and the nv_info_broker under that dir had the correct md5sum, BUT it seems like I had a stale “nv_info_broker” process leftover from running the JetPack 2.2 installer a couple of days ago. After killing that process off, everything seems to work fine. Thanks.

Why on EARTH would you tout a “16.04” Ubuntu but build it on top of a 3.10.96 kernel? Do that many people using a TX1 care about the GUI? Personally, I’d rather see them move to a new kernel and make the desktop optional in the JetPack. This is an embedded system, after all.

See the TX1 wiki for directions on building and booting the upstream kernel. NVIDIA’s L4T will be rebased against kernel 4.4 in the future roadmap.
    Developers can consult the L4T sources and TX1 SoC TRM guide while porting to alternative distributions, similar to what is available on TK1 wiki.

Just a heads up on R24.2 package updates. Earlier releases have replaced “/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so” with a symbolic link to the nVidia version of this file at “/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/tegra/libglx.so”, and arranged to not have the symbolic link overwritten from apt-get upgrade. Looks like this was lost.

If you have done an apt-get command which caused video or CUDA loss, you can log in to the JTX1 via ssh or serial console (or even local console with the ctrl-alt-F1 style console access, then back to GUI with ctrl-alt-F7) and run this command to put the symbolic link back in:

sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/tegra/libglx.so /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so

The package which owns this file and which overwrites it is “xserver-xorg-core”. Note that this package provides more than just this one file, so I wouldn’t necessarily advise not updating this package. However, if you do not want to update this package as a way to avoid this, try this prior to update:

sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core

If you want to verify your nVidia-specific files run this command:

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

The installation process hung while pushing post installation packages to the TX-1. Is there a way to restart this?

After installing Jetpack 24.3 in a new directory on Ubuntu 14.04 everything on the host side appeared OK. In the Post Installation for Jetson TX-1 the scripts hang after:

scp -F /dev/null -o PublickeyAuthentication=no -o ConnectTimeout=30 -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no /home/spero/.ssh/id_rsa.pub ubuntu@192.168.1.112:/home/ubuntu/tmp.pub
    id_rsa.pub 100% 393 0.4KB/s 00:00

The GUI is up on the TX-1 and using the GUI the contents of tmp.pub appear to be a valid ssh key.

Solved. The installation process hangs when used on WiFi (even when connected to the correct SSID & switch). It does not hang with wired connection.

@dusty_nv

we have a custom PCIe switch based on PEX8613. It has been working ok with R23.2.0. However, contrary to release note for R24 which states certain PCIe hanging having been resolved, we continue to see 9 out of 10 reboots of TX1 hanging during kernel boot. uboot still is good. we can query pci and it displays this:

Tegra210 (P2371-2180) # pci
    Scanning PCI devices on bus 0
    BusDevFun VendorId DeviceId Device Class Sub-Class

00.01.00 0x10de 0x0fae Bridge device 0x04

Little bit about PEX8613 with R23 kernel; it shows the following:
    ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ lspci
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fae (rev a1)
    01:00.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8613 12-lane, 3-Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
    02:01.0 Bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8613 12-lane, 3-Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)
    02:02.0 PCI bridge: PLX Technology, Inc. PEX 8613 12-lane, 3-Port PCI Express Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s) Switch (rev ba)

Having said that, R23 has an odd message that shows up occasionally:
    ubuntu@tegra-ubuntu:~$ [ 29.294637] pgd = ffffffc0f5260000
    [ 29.298036] [0000000c] *pgd=000000015b6f7003, *pmd=000000015bf95003, *pte=0000000000000000
    [ 29.306472] Library at 0xf26e1e44: 0xf26c3000 /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/plugins/platforms/libqxcb.so
    [ 29.316211] Library at 0x2: 0x8000 /usr/bin/signon-ui
    [ 29.321254] vdso base = 0xf72ab000
    [ 325.476343] vgaarb: this pci device is not a vga device

Could it be that TX1’s video driver keeps hitting PCIe and doesn’t recognize bridge type device. And in R24 its really broken and causing failures almost 100% of the time?

I can send you full boot logs fro R23 and R24, if that would help.

One last thing, on occasion when R24 does boot up, it doesn’t last for very long. it crashes as soon as lscpi is executed or in most instances, just starts dumping registers and causes CPU0 to hardlock.

TX1-R24-2-PCIe-Failure.txt (4.55 KB)
    TX1-R24-2-PCIe-OK-WithErrors.txt (3.68 KB)

Hi, i’m just trying to flash it to 24.2 with Jetpack 2.3, however, system seems written in to Jetson, GUI is on, but cannot detect usb device such as mouse or keyboard. i cannot login to ubuntu, so i cannot connect to network for the further installation or debugging. Is it just me or someone else has the similar situation? I tried several usb wired mouse and keyboard, same.

It’s actually frozen, since the clock on the top right corner is not changing after screen is on for about 1 min, but yah, cannot recognize any usb input device.

i can see the notification of “Wi-Fi Networks Available” pops up and frozen there, after this, everything frozen, “vol+” doesn’t have sound feedback from speaker i plugin, clock frozen. i flashed 3 times, results are the same.

Are you using a USB hub, or are you able to re-gain use of the devices when plugging them directly into the USB3 port or micro-USB port with the OTG adapter included with the devkit?

Can you login over the network via SSH? When you installed JetPack, did you do it from within an empty directory on an EXT filesystem (not NTFS)?